Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going private at Queen Elizabeth, Prince of Wales or Pamela Youde

charade is offline Registered User

Going private at Queen Elizabeth, Prince of Wales or Pamela Youde

A couple of people had shared on going private at Queen Mary. Since that is too far for me, I'm looking into the other public hospitals - Queen Elizabeth, Prince of Wales or Pamela Youde. Wondering if anyone went the private route in these hospitals and what their experience was? I can't seem to find a link with information on how to get into the private system at these hospitals on their websites. Any help on how to go about booking a private room at these hospitals would be appreciated.

PS: I know that at Pamela Youde you can request a private room if available when you go in to deliver, but I'm looking at whether it's possible to book in advance.

meimeid is offline Registered User
    I queried at QEH but they didn't have the option to book in advance when I asked last July.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    At Prince of Wales they told me that I couldn't book a private room in advance but had to wait until the day. On the day they told me the cost. I can't remember exactly what it was but it was really high - something like $20 or 30k I think (though don't quote me on that). Just for the benefit of a room to yourself but no other benefits of the private system - like knowing your doctor etc. I decided against it as it really did not seem worth the cost. I checked myself out after 2 days anyway so wasn't in there for long.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Can't edit this for some reason. To correct myself - I don't think they gave me the actual cost. I checked a post I wrote back in February and I had said that they explained that I could not just pay for the private room but that they would back charge a lot of the other hospital costs too, making it cost almost the same as delivery in a private hospital.

Thanks ladies. It appears that QEH and POW don't offer the same service as QMH then. AT QMH, private room can be booked in advance and you can go for private appointments and chances are good of having the same doctor for delivery.

I'm aware of the backdating of public appointment charges but even with that the whole thing works out to about $50,000 (I'm told) for a non-complicated vaginal delivery with a private room... not cheap but definitely cheaper than a private room in the private system.

Guess I'll try and contact the hospitals to confirm if anything has changed. My experience communicating with the public system over the phone sucks so was trying to get some background info.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Pamela Youde is first-come, first-serve but I gave birth there last March (here) and did my recovery in the private ward--it was wonderful. The staff were fantastic. The care was excellent. It was clean, modern and comfortable. Definitely worth the money. I don't think they have any private labor ward options at Pamela Youde, though. I guess, you can pay the private price and labor in a public ward? What district are you living in? Is it possible for you to book in the public ward at Pamela Youde? If so, I recommend it. (And when it comes to hospital conditions, I'm "hard to please.")
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Yep, read your post and others have said good things about Pamela Youde too. I decided not to register there because of the trek for appointments (I live in TKO but more importantly, work in Kowloon Tong) and also the private room is not guaranteed.

Actually, I'm booked to deliver at Baptist but reconsidering due to the recent incident reported in the press. That leaves me with my back-up, United Christian (my local public hospital), which I'm not entirely happy with, and suddenly the QMH private set-up seems attractive.

meimeid is offline Registered User
    I think you can't register at public hospitals for public care if you are not in their catchment area (or have address proof in that area). I know for QMH private clinic it doesn't matter where you live, but the doctor must have availability. There are only three doctors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast