Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

International Schools in Hong Kong

Youngdaddy is offline Registered User

International Schools in Hong Kong

Hi everyone!

It's been some time I have not logged in here . . My kid will be 4 years old soon and it is time to look up for a school (primary). I have made a little research and here are some schools I am willing to visit before 2012 and have already arranged the dates for that.
    Few schools have already said that they were full and the waiting list is huge, etc., so I am ending up with:

- Canadian International School of Hong Kong (ranks as one of the top international schools in HK)
    The school is located on the southern part of HK Island (Aberdeen), 36 Nam Long Shan Road, Aberdeen, HK.
    (25-meter heated indoor swimming pool is available for use year round)
    http://www.cdnis.edu.hk

- Chinese International School ("flagship school for Hong Kong")
    1 Hau Yuen Path, Braemar Hill, Hong Kong
    (25-meter indoor swimming pool)
    http://www.cis.edu.hk

- Kellett School - The British International School of Hong Kong (one of Hong Kong's leading independent International Schools)
    Primary campus: 2 Wah Lok Path, Wah Fu, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
    (apparently NO swimming pool in this school/campus)
    http://www.kellettschool.com

Please let us know if anyone has their children already studying in either of these schools, your feeling about them, pros and cons! THANK YOU!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ESF - wating list is huge, but they say the education is very good, have not contacted them yet . .

Renaissance College Hong Kong (by ESF) - could be a good choice too, I might visit it also, but so far they have not replied me clear enough about the application period and other procedures ... seems a little complicated with them but easier to roll in comparing to other ESF schools as it's not sub-vented by the government, thus a little more expensive ..

Hong Kong International School (ranks as one of the top international schools in HK) - also a bit too hard to communicate with them, answers not clear enough, and impression over all not too good (judging by website and e-mails) . .

Australian International School Hong Kong (ranks as one of the top international schools in HK) - they it clear to me that the waiting list is too big and the priority is given to AU an NZ passports, I am neither of those will not try them any more, though I read some good reviews about this school.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's like this now. I will visit the 3 schools mentioned at the top, then we'll see...

So far I like the Canadian and the Chinese International Schools the best.

Please let us know your thoughts!

Thank you!

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Surprised about HKIS. They have been very helpful and responsive.

Where are you from, or more importantly where will you be eventually going 'back' to? That will also play a key role in terms of which school you should enroll your child, so as to facilitate better transition when you relocate ....

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Continue on from Obiwan : What are you trying to accomplish for yourself and your kid? What are your goals?

Are you after Bilingual Education (CIS)? Are you looking to target Canadian Universities (CDNIS) or will you be going to UK soon (Kellet?)

All 3 are lovely schools, all 3 are expensive and all 3 have some very good teachers. Your goals will be important to come up with final decision.
    Why have you not considered GSIS, SIS, ISF (other fine schools in the same league) ?
    Last edited by howardcoombs; 11-03-2011 at 03:18 PM.

We are from Russia (my son has been living in China and Hong Kong only so far), but I am not sure now where I am going "back", it can be anywhere, it will not be Russia I guess . .
    So we have to prepare to anything, whether it will be Europe, Canada, not US I think . . well .. maybe Russia, but who knows, so far I am to stay in HK for at least 6-9 years . . Therefore it just has to be a good school that would encompass all aspects of preparing children to university (anywhere in the world), and independent living, children should be provided a good base, then they would be prepared to almost any conditions in any country. Money for the education is not a problem, for me me other factors are important: education quality, english first, second mandarin, teachers qualification, sports and other school facilities, LOCATION.

We have come to an understanding that it would be more convinient for us to stay on Kowloon side . .
    If anyone could suggest any decent school which is on Kowloon side. And please continue the discussion . .

So far I found AU school, but as I said it's unlikely we go through . .
    RCHK - we can try next September (we have missed this year application period) . .
    Same for all other ESF schools . . I though the kindergarten people would inform us about it,
    but they have not and I missed it.

Yew Chung Int'l School - seems to match, but some really bad reviews I read about it ..

Thank you!

My son was born on December 10, 2007 .. And the application period for all ESF schools for 07 born children was this year in September .. He has only been going to kindergarten for 1 year in Shanghai and 1 year in HK, it seemed to me that he is not ready for a school yet . . Everything is happening too quickly here . .

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Based on your requirements (and location), I would suggest YewChung. CIS would also be good, but very hard to get into a bit more travel.
    Go see the school yourself and judge for yourself; dont completely rely on other people's impressions.

AU, ESF, HKIS - they wont give you very much Mandarin.
    ISF, SIS - they are quite far away from you. If you dont mind the travel, then you can consider these 2 as well.

Lastly and as an aside : if you are going to stay here 6-9 years as you say, you should also get your child some Cantonese lessons (if you dont want Cantonese education). It will open up many avenues and activities that dont exist for English speaking kids.

Thank you for your reply! Cantonese is not important as I see it. I have been living in China for a while and did see any use in cantonese AT ALL. Mandarine is more than enough if you also speak english, russian, and other. We are looking for the schools to be tought in english and mandarine as a second language, if my son will be willing to study cantonese in the future it will be his choice. I will go and see CIS, Kellet and Yew Chung for sure. I will try next September for RCHK and ESF. And I now I am still looking for more options.

I have found another well known British School to be opened in 2012 - Harrow International School Hong Kong.
    http://www.harrowschool.hk Seems to be a good one . .

Though Harrow School is in Tuen Mun, wich is even further than HK Island side schools . . which makes it also a bit difficult.

I guess Yew Chung, RCHK and ESF schools seem to be more convinient to choose it terms of written all above and the LOCATION.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast