Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Tagalog vs. English

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Did you happen to read the New York Times article posted a few weeks ago titled Hearing Bilingual:How babies sort out language?

I found it to be an interesting and helpful read. At this stage in development, the more languages your baby can hear--whether it's babble or not--the more open neurologically the baby will remain--which has impacts not only on language acquisition but all other areas of learning. Hearing more languages keeps your baby's brain more flexible.

My helper speaks English mostly with my son but she does have an accent but just yesterday my son (4-years-old) corrected her pronunciation and wouldn't give up until she pronounced the word correctly--he was doing it innocently and not to be cheeky. He just kept saying, "No, Auntie, it's not this way, it's THIS way." And when she said the word correctly he giggled and was very happy about it. I don't mind at all if she chooses to speak another langauge with him--I think that is way cool.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

charade is offline Registered User
    Ah good question about what language the helper speaks when we're not there. I have no idea! She speaks to my son in English when we're around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12