Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

misuse of baby changing room

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    ssheng - that is EXACTLY what we are talking about! At the IFC there are no toilet facilities. It is a room, there is a chair to sit in as you feed, some wet wipes in a box (usually empty) and a sink and trash can, and the room can be locked.

Two of the couples I saw, one going in and one on the way out were clearly not together - it seemed like it was a PAID transaction (purely speculative....but one couple left separately, and the couple coming in, the lady came in first and the guy who was ALOT older than her was standing some ways away, hurried on in once we had left, different nationalities, so unlikely to be her dad helping her to pump or however dads may help in this situation) but the other 2 couples were together (holding hands on the way out, chatting).

Yes, it does put you off using the rooms, but where else can you go to feed/pump? I know some people are okay with feeding in restaurants with a shawl and I've even done it a few times, but frankly I'm more comfortable in a private room, where I can make sure I'm relaxed, I can check that babes hasn't fallen off the breast, I don't have people looking and pointing at me.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsp23 View Post
    I have no problem with a wall of shame, just thinking that the two walking out could get aggressive/nasty about it though, which could be quite perilous for the one holding the camera!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Oh, that wouldn't be too much of a problem for me as I know how to fight back and there is mall security afterall if something truly terrible goes down. In my experience, when people in HK are confronted with things like this they kind of slink away.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Thanka2, your post cracks me up. I'm tiny though wish I were much bigger so could deal with it there and then!

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    I think that if you frequent IFC that much, it's worth writing a formal complaint. Telling the manager on duty verbally will not have the same impact as sending a letter. Indicate the date & time of incident. You can only speculate what they do in there and you have no evidence of inappropriate behaviour. You can say that it is a misuse since they have no baby & mention the inconvenience it has caused.

I think IFC management won't want their public facilities to be turned into a place for a quickie. Perhaps tell them to put up signs on the door that these changing facilities are strictly for baby changing & feeding & CCTV cameras are in use (and videos will be posted on YouTube if they don't get a room!)
    thanka2 and solidstars like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mummymoo View Post
    Thanka2, your post cracks me up. I'm tiny though wish I were much bigger so could deal with it there and then!
    I'll just assume you're not calling me fat.

But....where I come from some of the smallest people have the most fight in them. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie_hk View Post
    I think that if you frequent IFC that much, it's worth writing a formal complaint. Telling the manager on duty verbally will not have the same impact as sending a letter. Indicate the date & time of incident. You can only speculate what they do in there and you have no evidence of inappropriate behaviour. You can say that it is a misuse since they have no baby & mention the inconvenience it has caused.

I think IFC management won't want their public facilities to be turned into a place for a quickie. Perhaps tell them to put up signs on the door that these changing facilities are strictly for baby changing & feeding & CCTV cameras are in use (and videos will be posted on YouTube if they don't get a room!)
    Great idea. This is where a photo of the couple leaving the room sans baby would be great to include. Yeah, I think that it's really gross that people would use the room for that purpose but even if it's not for that purpose it's still wrong. I think that breastfeeding women should get first dibs on those rooms anyway--especially the ones designed to sit down and feed in. I did happen to have to knock really hard on the door that was locked at such a mall last week and found a grandma in there feeding the baby with a bottle. Why do you need to lock the door? Really irritating as I was looking for a place to breastfeed.

Mother of Two

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    I'm rarely in a place that has this type of room so I just do my breastfeeding out in the open with a breastfeeding shawl. If someone was taking a long time in the baby room, I would do the same thing I would do if someone was taking a long time in the toilette and there was a line--I would make a nuisance of myself and knock on the door until someone answered.
    I know that would upset my wife and I suspect it would annoy lots of other women too - if they are quietly breastfeeding and some unknown stranger started banging on the door and hassling them when they are at a vulnerable time. Usage of these shared facilities is a privilege, not a right and if it is occupied then you should wait in line like everyone else instead of shouting and making a fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    didn't have a baby, I would give them the 'what for' in a very direct way
    And now you're going to demand them to produce their baby so you can let them continue breastfeeding uninterrupted? I have to say I find this type of anti-social behaviour extremely rude.

charade is offline Registered User
    Although the couples are probably using the room for a hook-up (highly annoying), they could well argue, if challenged, that the woman was pumping, which is also a legitimate use of the room. I think letter to IFC is the way to go - though what action they could take is also questionable. A CCTV in the room would be undesirable; one outside the room wouldn't help.

By banging on the door, one might be disturbing someone doing something legitimate - like pumping, or even bottle feeding a troublesome eater. I never get why people bang on toilet doors - if one is taking a while it's usually because of something unpleasant like a tummy upset; rarely is one taking a snooze in there.
    2010-NewDad and miran like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast