Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

misuse of baby changing room

Ai li is offline Registered User

misuse of baby changing room

What should I do when seeing a couple walk out from the baby changing room without any baby after a long wait.

The first time I encountered was in IFC about 3years ago. I reported it immediately to the customer service. All they did was just took down my name and contact number and asked me about the time that I saw it happned. And thats it!!??

I have encountered 3 times in 3 years. The very last time, I questioned the couple while they were walking out. '' What are you gals doing inside the BB room without any BB or child''. The couple just ignored me and walked straight without turning their heads back at all. I suppose they were guilty about it.

Anyway, what would you do if you were me? Any advice?

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I'm rarely in a place that has this type of room so I just do my breastfeeding out in the open with a breastfeeding shawl. If someone was taking a long time in the baby room, I would do the same thing I would do if someone was taking a long time in the toilette and there was a line--I would make a nuisance of myself and knock on the door until someone answered.  If they didn't have a baby, I would give them the 'what for' in a very direct way and tell them that I'm going to report them to the management. That's how I do things--not the style for everyone--but I just got tired of this sort of rudeness being overlooked.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

"I just got tired of this rudeness being overlooked".

Amen to that Thanka2. I would do the same. I'm not a confrontational person but when people are inconsiderate, they deserve to be told off.

mummymoo is offline Registered User

This is a post that resonates with me. I was so frustrated.

I've had a problem with the IFC baby changing rooms recently in the last 6 months 3 times in all. Either couples would come out together with no baby, and once it was a Chinese guy who came out first and the lady who followed him afterwards was SE Asian. Then one time after we left the baby changing room, there was a couple with no baby along who popped into the room immediately after us. It only ever happens on the 2nd floor of the IFC, I've never had a problem on the ground floor. I reported it once to the management staff who was in the vicinity but they did not take down my details and I think didn't understand what I was saying (or pretended not to). It's disgusting that a baby changing room is used for these sorts of inappropriate business.

Another aside, I have had issues where people have banged on the door when I have been pumping in the rooms (and yes, its true, my milk let down is very slow -45 minutes to completely empty), and I have always replied with a time when I would be done. I think the system that occurs in some of the clubs where there is an area where you can draw a shower curtain like thing to feed works ALOT better as people won't get up to these sorts of activities at the expense of others.

Not much I can advise but here to commiserate.......

zzsp23 is offline Registered User

Pretend to take a photo of them walking out :)
    On second thoughts, that could be a bit too antagonistic...

thanka2 likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsp23 View Post
    Pretend to take a photo of them walking out :)
    On second thoughts, that could be a bit too antagonistic...
    Antagonistic? If it were me, the point would not be to antagonize anyone, the point is to educate people. In the same way that people who are not disabled who use disabled parking places (not that they exist in HK but...) or disabled stalls in the bathroom should be taught that it's not okay, people who inappropriately use what is designed for mothers and babies in HK should be educated and nothing like being embarassed to help people remember... Should be a "wall of shame" of people who misuse facilties in my opinion.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

zzsp23 is offline Registered User

I have no problem with a wall of shame, just thinking that the two walking out could get aggressive/nasty about it though, which could be quite perilous for the one holding the camera!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

ssheng is offline Registered User

I hope I'm not reading too much into this, but is the implication that couples were using nursing/changing rooms for 'intimate' activity?! Or are there toilet facilities in the baby rooms that they are using to cut in line or have more privacy in?

On a separate note, once I was in a nursing room with my first newborn and saw what I thought was a prophylactic device in the sink. I was horrified, but a few months later learned that there are bottle liners that look, when crumpled up, similar. Lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast