Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Yakult not in chillers?

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User

Yakult not in chillers?

It seems to be a common sight that many packs and packs of Yakult drink being placed beside chillers to be sold in some supermarkets Aren't they all supposed to be chilled at certain temperature since they contain the live Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota?
    The ones in the chillers only make up a small portion and I wonder if they might very well have come from the unchilled bulk next to the chillers before.
    Is there a special reason on such practice- space constraint?

peainpod is offline Registered User
    I've heard that Yakult doesn't really have much live culture in them and in fact it's do high sugar that they aren't recommended for kids at all. If you want to take in more probiotics, yogurt is a better way to go, especially Easyo which you can make yourself from prepackaged powder.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I'm not all that sure that Yakult actually has live culture in it--it may be "cultured" (soured) but yes, as peainpod said, Yakult's #1 ingredient is sugar and I won't even let my preschooler drink it--to me, it's no better than giving him an artificial orange drink or soda. Instead we give him a live supplement mixed in milk or some other beverage. We get our cultures from a health food store in Causeway Bay.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

carang is offline Registered User
    i get a kick out of the fact that my daughter's kindergarten asks for the birthday parties to only provide healthy snacks, but they ask for yakult by name! i guess they don't know how much sugar is actually in the stuff! i read once that there is more sugar in yakult than in regular coca-cola....but i'm not sure if that is true or not.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Carang, that is actually true but only if you drink the same amount of liquid.
    However if you drink a can of Coke vs a small bottle of Yakult, you will get more sugar out of the Coke.

BTW: Lets not make sugar into a big bad wolf when it really isnt.
    Coke as well as nice, natural OrangeJuice both have about the same amount of sugar in them; around 10g per 100ml. Yakult has almost double that at 18g per 100ml.

carang is offline Registered User
    a little sugar is great! but the problem is that they think yakult is healthy....it's not.

of course, a little indulgence once in a while is ok. my kids love their orange fanta....but i don't like that they teach that they are making healthy choices by choosing yakult, when in actual fact, they would be better off drinking the same amount of coke!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    Carang, that is actually true but only if you drink the same amount of liquid.
    However if you drink a can of Coke vs a small bottle of Yakult, you will get more sugar out of the Coke.

BTW: Lets not make sugar into a big bad wolf when it really isnt.
    Coke as well as nice, natural OrangeJuice both have about the same amount of sugar in them; around 10g per 100ml. Yakult has almost double that at 18g per 100ml.
    Sugar isn't really a "bad wolf" in my opinion but it all depends on what one's standards are for what one's young children are allowed to eat. In our house we try to really limit sugar intake. We don't drink juice very often (none of us really like it)--even natural juices and none of us drinks soda at all. If given a choice, my son will ask for water if he's offered juice because he prefers it. But, we may also be a bit different in that our children also never eat at McDonalds or the like and snacks in our house consist of cheese, homemade breads, Cheerios and apples.

I think Yakult is just a sugary drink that's marketed to be healthier because it's cultured.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

southside852 is offline Registered User
    my son (he's almost 4) loves yakult and hasn't had one sip of soda in his life. I am ok with a yakult every couple of days. He rarely eats sweets (i.e. candy/cookies) etc...i know there is sugar in the drink, but at least he's not begging for cake, cookies and candy....it could be worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast