Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Wanted: Affordable Mandarin Playgroup at Parkview - 2-3 yr old, will host at my place

mommysf is offline Registered User

Wanted: Affordable Mandarin Playgroup at Parkview - 2-3 yr old, will host at my place

Hi, I am a mandarin speaking work-at-home mom. My son is 2.5 yrs old and speaks both mandarin and English. I wanted to find 2-4 families who are interested in hiring a mandarin tutor to lead our playgroup. Here are some details let me know if you are interested... could be changed too, PM me with email and phone number if you are interested. I plan to interview mandarin tutor/speakers myself and find a good one that loves kids! OR if you have recommends that would be great!

* Ideally 2-4 families, with children 2-3 yrs old

* Flexible on mornings/afternoon. My son has afternoon nursery, so ideally MWF mornings, but could do W/F afternoons, so either 9-noon, or 1-4

* I would like the tutor to 1) read books in Chinese ( I will go find the chinese books or if any family has them we can share 2) sing songs and rhymes in Chinese 3) play children's games etc that teaches mandarin, art chalks, color, but related to mandarin so my son can have maximum mandarin exposure - I have ideas if needed

* I am okay with university student, or older 40-50's year old, as long as they speak mandarin and love kids and make children excited to play/learn (I will interview as I am a mandarin speaker)

* I am looking somewhere between $100-$250 per hour tutor depending on qualifications, and 3 hours a time, preferably 2-3 times week. With 4 families, that comes to $75-188 per session for 3 hours! It's also good for the tutor as they are coming for 3 hours at a time rather than typical 1 hour.

* I would be happy to host at my home in parkview - we have both large indoor and outdoor playgrounds. For guests, the huge play facility only cost $30HKD per day for child ( very cheap as they have access to a lot of fun stuff), we have places they can play ball, out in the yard, or wherever makes them happy :)

* I do ask a helper or parent to be present as this is not a daycare and I do not want any liability! I am a working mom with a full time helper who speaks only English. I want my half chinese half caucasian son to speak fluent mandarin and also make some friends! Parent or Helper could participate but I would like the children to be mostly exposed to MANDARIN, so they could be here surf the net, watch their child play, etc. But let the mandarin tutor get them excited

* Let me know if there are any interest and we can go from there. Also if you want just 1 day or 2 day session we could possibly include more families. However 4 is the max I would want as I think that's a good size for the tutor and max my place can hold without too crowded! :) If you can't make it to a session, you can ask another family. I just don't want to be burdened with all the financials as you may understood.

* I would like to try with 6-8 weeks just to make the tutor's time worth it. If we like it we will continue.

* Parkview does have a bus shuttle from central for $18 HKD - you have to buy the ticket from apartment office. It's a 15-20 min ride from central and child 3 and under is free

* Please PM me with 1) availability on those dates described above 2) your child age/sex 3) little about you. My goal is for the families to meet up in Nov/Dec time frame and see if it works for us and have tutor start in January!

mommysf is offline Registered User
    forgot to mention we have the hong kong trails in our backyard, a very family friendly one, I would love the mandarin tutor to take the kids out and explore nature on sunny days. ( again with helpers/parents so tutor is not liable as I don't think they want to take that risk) The most important is have the mandarin tutor keep talking and keep repeating, ' look at the green leaves, the trees, rocks, etc...', anything that helps them expose to mandarin. My hope is NO ENGLISH would be spoken at the mandarin sessions :) hence I will try to find a mandarin -only speaker! My son currently has an unbelievable mandarin vocabulary and sentences as result of our last mandarin-only speaking nanny who had to move for family/health reasons, and that's why I am here looking for another alternative!

Tduong79 is offline Registered User
    Hello. I am also looking for something similar but my kids are Canadian ages 4 and 6. We will be in HK (yuen long) for 3 or 4 mths. I was wondering if you could help direct me in the right direction to find something like what you are trying to set up? I want my kids with a tutor that only speaks mandarin with them as they are quite fluent (for canadian children). Would really appreciate your help. Please email me

Margaret09 is offline Registered User
    Hi I am interested in this also. I've sent you a PM

cwootliff is offline Registered User

Mandarin Playgroup

Hi - I am new to this group. Currently living in Shanghai. Moving to HongKong In Feb. My daughter is currently 2 years and 4 month and I would love to have her in a Mandarin playgroup. Her first language is Mandarin and would like her to continue to speak it. She will to kindergarten in the mornings, therefore a playgroup after 2pm would work for her. Let me know please what the situation and how I can be part of this playgroup. Thanks and regards Christine