Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swimming in the sea with a 12 months old

The Nielsen's is offline Registered User

Swimming in the sea with a 12 months old

Would you go swimming in the sea at Shek O with your 12 months old?

charade is offline Registered User
    We took our 11 month old to Clearwater Bay Beach last month. We didn't exactly swim but he loved splashing about in the water. We got a lot of disapproving looks from the oldies out there for their routine swim.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Depends on what your definition of swimming is....splashing and dipping would be ok for us along the beach but if we were to go on a boat trip then I would not personally bring my 12mth old to swim as I would be scared of the currents...and jelly fish nearby.

The Nielsen's is offline Registered User
    I was thinking more about letting the baby in the water; health wise. We live in Repulse Bay but I would never go in the water here as it is so polluted but the locals do it all the time. However I have heard that the water is better in Shek O

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    I would but I would be careful not to let my baby drunk any of the water. Also, would make sure to wash down before going home and then having a proper bath when I get home.

Biggie is offline Registered User
    I took my kid on boat trip when he was 8mth old and he swam in the ocean ( in a floaty). Lots of kids and babies swims in Stanley beach all the time I won't worry. Quality of the water also depends on current and recent weather.
    Posted via Mobile Device

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    Shek O is not really very far from Repulse Bay in ocean terms ie it is the same body of water and probably a similar distance from the shipping lanes. There can also be a huge amount of rubbish in the water in both Big Wave Bay and Shek O. As mentioned above a lot is to do with the winds and the tide. My observation is that this time of year when winds are from the north and the air pollution is particularly bad, the water quality appears better ie. less rubbish and clearer. But that is observation only.

Our kids (and us) swim in the water at both Shek O and Repulse Bay - well normally South Bay but same same and have swum at Repulse Bay. They are a bit older though but youngest was in there around 12 months. If you believe the governmnet rating of the water of the water it is more consistently higher at Repulse Bay compared to Shek O.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by The Nielsen's View Post
    Would you go swimming in the sea at Shek O with your 12 months old?
    Would, and do, take a 15 month old (and have been taking since 8 or 9 months) in the water at Shek O, Stanley, South Bay, Deep Water Bay, etc. Consider the proximity to the beach to be one of the benefits of living on the South side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast