Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Regular Health Checkups for kids/babies

jbmom is offline Registered User

Regular Health Checkups for kids/babies

New to HK from US and adjusting to system here. Our pediatrician in the US routinely measured/weighed my (now) 10 mo. baby and provided records of all measurements. I took him to a ped here when we got here and none of these were routinely provided. Also my (now) 4 year old got a routine yearly check up which included vision and hearing since he turned 3. The ped we went to here seemed unable to administer those exams.... Can anyone recommend a pediatrician here who is familiar with the US system? do the goverment hospitals here provide yearly checkups for children 4 and above?

shar_ssc is offline Registered User

We just relocated from the US too and we go to Dr Richard Chiu at Melbourne Plaza. We go with our updated immunization card given by our pedi in US and Dr Chiu advises the missing vaccines that my 13mth old has to catch up on. I believe he is in tune with the US vaccines but call and check with the nurses. All the best!

jbmom is offline Registered User

Thank you. i've seen Dr. Chiu recommended by many on this forum. I will try to schedule an appt with him!

penguinsix is offline Registered User

I used Dr. Mark Chan though I think he just moved offices in Central. Our trips there were very similar to US visits, weight, height, etc. along with following the US vaccination schedule. Not sure about vision/hearing. He also keeps hours at Matilda outpatient which is convenient for us as well.

elle is offline Registered User

Quick note on Dr. Chiu - he will follow the US vaccination schedule if you ask him - actually he asked us what we wanted (particularly in regard to BCG, which is not routinely given in the US, and he gives us a choice regarding which brand vaccine to use). Children will also have the usual checks (height, weight, physical exam, etc.) at vaccination and other routine appointments with him. We're American and have been very happy with him and his willingness and ability to cater to what we are used to 'back home'. He is also a lovely, genuinely kind, patient man and capable doctor. Although his practice is busy I have never felt rushed if I had questions.

bonita is offline Registered User

We take both our **** to Dr. Paul Leung of Premier Medical Centre at 7/F Central Building (next to Landmark). He's very patient and thorough. They do height, weight, head circumference, and check fine/gross motor, language etc. development at each check-up.

One thing I like about their centre is they have separate waiting area and consultation room for sick kids and those just there for check-up and vaccination.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

I know this is not applicable yet, but wanted to mention it anyhow. We come from the States, oldest 4, twins almost 2, fully up to date with vax. Just went to the doctor for vaccinations. They would measure / weigh if I asked, but there were no concerns in this area, so I didn't bother. One twin had hearing test due to speech delay and frequent ear infections. When my oldest started ESF she entered the public system and they do a yearly health screening for primary students at your closest government clinic. It's quite an experience, but it's fairly efficient and free. She's gone 2 years in a row (found out she needed glasses 1 1/2 years ago at her first visit), and I'll be signing up the twins as well. So it is in place to some extent, just slightly different.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

the doctors at Central Health / OT & P all provide the services you are looking for. the public system, like mommyTo3 mentioned is also quite efficient and might I add, very thorough as my son went their with jaundice and came out 3 weeks later recovering for suspected UTI...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast