Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carang

helper serving 1 month notice...lost her HKID....

rs2000 is offline Registered User

helper serving 1 month notice...lost her HKID....

Hi All,

After a long and tiring wait, we finally told our helper on 10th Nov that we are terminating the contract and 10Dec is her last day.

She comes back on sunday 13th Nov and tells me that she has lost her ATM and HKID.
    For past 1 month, I will pay her in Cash and get the receipt signed (instead of putting in her account).

For her HKID, there is 335hk$ fee. who is supposed to pay this? She was already terminated when she lost it but are we supposed to pay for it?

she has been irrepsonsible and had lost her ATM before as well. and then told me she lost her hkid and atm with a wide smile (just 2 days after I told her she was terminated).

Also does it need to be reported to the Police? or shall she just report o immigration?
    Please suggest me whether I shall pay for HKID or shall I ask her.

Many Thanks!

carang is offline Registered User
    she doesn't need an ATM to access her account. transfer the $ to her account as per normal. keep your receipt. if she lost her stuff, that's her problem. it is NOT your duty to pay for her new HKID. she does not need to report to police, but she DOES need to make an appt with immig to get a new one (if her visa will be extended or she finds another employer).

DO NOT ask her if you should pay for it, of course her answer will be YES. it is NOT your responsibility. it is hers.

you also need to inform immigration that you have terminated her contract.
    rebekah likes this.

carang is offline Registered User
    to be honest, if i were in your shoes, i would pay her today and ask her to leave immediately. she sounds like trouble. if you decide to do this, then make sure you have a witness to everything.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Did she see this one coming or did you pull the rug from under her feet? The reason why I ask is that she may have been distraught at being terminated that she lost her stuff. Having said that, an ATM card & HKID is something you wouldn't (and shouldn't) lose after being terminated.

Don't think you need to report to the police. She should contact her bank. Don't think you should pay for her ID. That's her responsibility.

Hate to say this but it sounds a bit too sus to me & she's probably trying to milk whatever she can before she leaves.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i would agree with the others ... when you terminate, she should leave right away. pay her to leave, that's legally done by many i just wouldn't trust someone like that around the house, especially if she is "forced" to leave and not leaving on her own terms.

as for her ID - don't we all have to report to the police when we lose it and then go to immigration to get a new one? i always did...anyhow, not 100% sure on that one. but one thing i am sure is that it's HER responsibility so any charge for replacement should come out of her own pocket...she's going to get paid anyways, right? so she'll have the cash - don't be too nice and worry about it! she'll be fine! :)

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User
    Unless there is a legal obligation on the part of employer to cover hkid replacement cost, it should be her own responsibility to do so for the loss of her own id.

After I decided that keeping my ex-helper(not here) was not a wise thing to do, we sent her off the same day of termination on very last minute notice that gave her no chance to play tricks Of cos we paid for all necessary costs There have been too many nasty cases of helpers dishing out all sorts of tricks to employers who terminated them
    During the period that your helper is still around, I would also be on caution on the belongings especially valuables if I were you And to check her belongings before she leaves your house-this is what many employers could and would do back home
    We also did what the agency advised us when helper arrived at our home previously-checked what she brought along So on her exit we saw some of her other things surfaced Apparently she hid them beneath a thick waist belt previously that she put on under her clothes and didn't want us to know I've seen the waist belt only few days after she arrived and she said she's fat so need it(to look svelt wen doing chores at home??she's not fat at all) There are many stories of helpers stealing things & $ out of employers' homes and passing them out to partners in crime- frds, boyfrds etc Or on their last days I can't help but wonder if such belt could be a potential tool for such schemes, anyway I was glad we sent her away.
    Hope things work out well for you soon.

rs2000 is offline Registered User
    many thanks for your help everyone!