Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Isabella

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by ssheng View Post
    Honestly, howard, you are and continue to be ... puzzling to me in your passion for these and many other topics.
    My passion is quite simple : stamp out misinformation and FUD.
    If that helps a parent find a logical direction, then I'm happy.
    If it annoys others who have irrational beliefs, so be it.

I didn't say I'm positive this is true, I said it COULD be, and that unless it were 100% fake, I thought it was worth the 10 second read by anyone who wanted to read through, and the 2 minutes it took me to post, just in case it could help a family who lost their child.
    It looks, smells, walks, talks and farts like a duck - its a duck. The fact that you believe you are doing a service by spreading inaccurate information is really not relevant.

Chain letters are a waste of time at the best of times.
    When they pertain to children, I get passionate for the simple reason that such things alarm parents needlessly.

And yes I did think that was a remote chance, but again, didn't see the harm.
    The harm comes from perpetuating such things. It makes parents think that there are boogieman everywhere and if they go to some random city in China their kids will get kidnapped.

I'm not 'spamming' your email, at worst your mouse had to hover over this topic for an extra second or you had to click to get out of it. Never presented it as fact - quite the opposite, just by my original post you'll see I considered it might be a 'scam' (my words), so fair warning to readers.
    Would it not be better to research the claims first before forwarding such an inflammatory post around? If you considered it a scam, then why perpetuate it? It took me just a few minutes of looking to realise there was no basis to it.

Go ahead and call the number or the Spanish chamber. As I also said in my original post, happy to have it be a hoax - that means one less family has lost a child, so by your measure I 'win' either way (although really - betting on whether a child is missing?? Seems like you have pretty poor taste - or a gambling addiction).
    Since a child is not missing there is no poor taste involved, just me trying to raise some awareness of a good charity who do a lot of good in Hong Kong : Po Leung Kuk.
    I dont need to call the number as I've done my homework just as you should have done before forwarding on inaccurate chain letters.

In case anyone has doubts feel free and do your own research to convince yourself about the story :
    The girl is real, so is the mother. She is not missing and never was. Her family know exactly where she is and sending these chain letters will do no good whatsoever but plenty of harm to the sanity of normal ordinary parents.

The little girl happens to be with her Venezuelan dad. You see Mommy & Daddy are having a lovers quarrel with this girl getting stuck in the middle. Simply put, its an international custody case.

Have a nice weekend knowing that the little girl was not kidnapped by some big bad boogieman but is part of the majority of missing kids scares - one parent took her.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    howard - as always you crack me up. I was reading your reply and thinking you called that number and proved it was a hoax and then at the end it turns out it's not a hoax at all. Sounds like from the details you provided you might have actually spoken to the poor mom herself.

So Isabella is indeed lost, and was kidnapped by her father. Thanks for clearing that up. Not sure why you think that wasn't already considered by people reading this - that was actually what I assumed. Also not sure why that somehow no longer makes it an issue. Kidnapping is kidnapping and a mother is looking for information to locate her daughter. I can only think by your condescending tone that you assume readers of this thread are hysterical women (and men?) who think the "boogieman" (your words) are out to kidnap their children. Since you mention being logical, I would say it is much more logical to assume that like the couple of people who did respond, they either glanced at it and noted the photo, or thought it was not real and didn't give it another thought. Not really logical to assume a parent read this and based on this alone decided to systematically avoid travel in China as their child would be kidnapped.

Now I'm going to be logical and close this thread from further comments from me (and I hope you).

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by ssheng View Post
    howard - as always you crack me up. I was reading your reply and thinking you called that number and proved it was a hoax and then at the end it turns out it's not a hoax at all. Sounds like from the details you provided you might have actually spoken to the poor mom herself.
    I'm glad I'm able to provide a source of amusement for you but no, I've not spoken to the mum.
    Whether she is poor or good or evil is not something I'm privy to. I just know what I have found out from digging around a bit which I hope you would do before forwarding on chain mails in the future.

So Isabella is indeed lost, and was kidnapped by her father. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Thats a leap. Where did you get that from? I certainly didnt say she is lost and I cannot find any mention of kidnapping anywhere. If you have good accurate information to share, please let us know.

Not sure why you think that wasn't already considered by people reading this - that was actually what I assumed.
    One parent taking a child while the other getting worried is an extremely common occurence. Should we be looking forward to regular alerts from you on this? In the USA alone, 350,000 children a year are taken by a parent in custody disputes. Men and Woman pretty much equally are guilty in this respect.
    More USA statistics:
    Mothers take the child away 46% of the time.
    Fathers take the child away 54% of the time.

Also not sure why that somehow no longer makes it an issue. Kidnapping is kidnapping and a mother is looking for information to locate her daughter.
    If you have some evidence of kidnapping, please let everyone know as I'm sure many are curious about this. I'm not aware of any kidnapping going on.

I can only think by your condescending tone that you assume readers of this thread are hysterical women (and men?) who think the "boogieman" (your words) are out to kidnap their children.
    Some may be and some may not be but why is that even an issue. The issue at hand is the forwarding of imaginative chain mails. What does it accomplish exactly? I've pointed out to you the downside; is there any upside to propagating such information without even checking the validity of it ?

Since you mention being logical, I would say it is much more logical to assume that like the couple of people who did respond, they either glanced at it and noted the photo, or thought it was not real and didn't give it another thought. Not really logical to assume a parent read this and based on this alone decided to systematically avoid travel in China as their child would be kidnapped.
    I cant assume what others do - I know what I would do and did do when confronted by a chain letter that looked out of place. I spent a few minutes searching, found what I was looking for and posted it so people dont make incorrect assumptions and have some false beliefs. At the same time, I tried politely to ask you not to continue the practice in the future.

Now I'm going to be logical and close this thread from further comments from me (and I hope you).
    The logical thing would have been never to forward something without checking the veracity of it, especially when it pertains to children and their well being as its a hot-button for many parents.
    I hope you will do the logical thing next time before propagating such things.
    Have a lovely weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top