Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Isabella

ssheng is offline Registered User

Isabella

Isabella.jpg

Who knows - maybe it will help to post this here; got it in an email today. I moved the English version at top and it reads a bit weird - probably translated from the Spanish or Chinese version.

Unless you are 100% positive it is a scam, please don't post anything negative about people perpetuating these irrational fears, etcetc, as I have seen in the past on Geobaby threads. If it is a scam, worst case you lost 10 seconds on it and thank goodness, because it means a child isn't lost.

Searching for Isabella

Dear members and friends,

The Spanish Chamber of Commerce in China (South China) would like to ask for your help in a complicated situation. This last week, we have received the petition of a family that recently has lost their daugther.

Isabella, a five-year-old girl, disappeared last July 1st in Shanghai. Since then, her family have not had news about her. The young girl has blue eyes and blond long hair, as you can see in the attached file, but the family warns that she could wear short hair now. Isabella, also known as 'Izzy',speaks Spanish and English.

If somebody see Isabella or know any information about her whereabouts, please, contact her family by e-mail at [email protected] or by phone calling 13166007760. We appreciate your help in a hard situation like this and we hope Isabella can be soon with her family again.

Please, do not forget to send this e-mail to all your contacts in China. Thank you.

Sincerely yours,

Oliver Wang
    Executive Director
    Spanish Chamber of Commerce in China, South of China division

To make sure you receive our bulletins, please save [email protected] in your contact list.

失踪人口--- Isabella

亲爱的会员们、朋友们:

中国西班牙商会华南代表处近段时间收到一个小孩失踪的消息。

Isabella, 5岁女孩,蓝色眼睛,长头发,她现在可能是短发。7月1日在上海失踪。从那天开始,她的家人再也没有收到她 的消息,她会说西班牙语和英语。家人也称呼她为 'Izzy',具体请查阅附件。

如果你们看见或知道 Isabella的消息和下落,请联系她的家人[email protected] 或致电13166007760. 我们非常感谢你的帮助同时也希望Isabella 能早日回到家人的身边。

再次,请把这个邮件转发给你的中国朋友,谢谢!

此致,
    敬礼

王祖俤
    执行总监
    中国西班牙商会华南代表处

为确保已经收到我们的邮件,请把[email protected] 列入你的联系名单中

La búsqueda de Isabella

Estimados socios y amigos,

Desde la Cámara Oficial de Comercio de España en China, división Sur de China, os pedimos a todos vuestra colaboración en una situación muy delicada. Esta semana nos ha llegado una petición de ayuda de una familia que ha perdido a su hija recientemente y solicitamos vuestra ayuda en su búsqueda.

Isabella, de 5 años de edad, desapareció el 1 de julio en la ciudad de Shanghai. Desde entonces, su familia no ha vuelto a tener noticias de ellas. La niña tiene ojos azules y pelo rubio largo, como puede verse en el archivo adjunto a este e-mail, pero la familia advierte que podría llevar el pelo corto actualmente. Isabella también responde al nombre de 'Izzy' y habla español e inglés.

Si alguien ve a Isabella o conoce alguna información sobre su paradero, rogamos que contacten con su familia en el e-mail [email protected] o a través del teléfono 13166007760. Agradecemos toda vuestra colaboración en un momento tan difícil como éste y esperamos que Isabella pronto pueda reunirse de nuevo con su familia.

Por favor, no olvide de reenviar este e-mail a todos sus contactos en China. Muchas gracias.

Atentamente,

Oliver Wang
    Director Ejecutivo
    Cámara Oficial de Comercio de España en China, división Sur de China

Para recibir correctamente los comunicados de la Cámara, guarde [email protected] en sus contactos.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    1) If this happened in July, why would Google only find links to this chain mail instead of credible newspaper stories?

2) Why is the surname of Isabella not mentioned?

3) A phone number is given but no country code.

4) Email address of spanishchamber-ch.com is given but this is not mentioned in any of the chambers web pages

5) Why is there no photo of this missing girl to be found anywhere on the internet, other websites, newspapers etc?

I'm 99.999% convinced that this is a hoax and am willing to take bets. If I win, it goes to Po Leung Kuk. If you win I hand over cash.
    Any takers ? :-)

Unless you are 100% positive it is a scam, please don't post anything negative about people perpetuating these irrational fears, etcetc, as I have seen in the past on Geobaby threads. If it is a scam, worst case you lost 10 seconds on it and thank goodness, because it means a child isn't lost.
    Unless you are 100% positive its not a scam, please dont post chain letters; infact dont post chain letters period.
    Perpetuating such chainletters only promotes irrational fears, I've seen it world wide.
    It costs you more and more anxiety believing and spreading such flimsy irrational stories.
    Last edited by howardcoombs; 11-18-2011 at 02:27 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    i agree. it would have been all over the news had it been true; think of the little girl in portugal who went missing about 10 years ago.

carang is offline Registered User
    i would also never have put shanghai into "south china" but i DO hope it is a hoax. it is not something i would wish on my worst enemy, to "lose" a child like that....

lol - I knew you would respond Howard, that was exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote my comment.

The country code is 86. That's a China cell phone number, and the email was first sent around to expats in China. The email address has the last name for Isabella, since this was in an email the subject line had her full name, and yes that is the email address for the Spanish chamber but as for the specific addressee I don't necessarily think that would be listed on a page on their site.

Shanghai is in the southern region of China as defined by the Chinese. China divides itself based on the Yellow River and Shanghai is south of that. It is why there are no heaters mandated to be built into residential towers under Shanghai building codes, even though ridiculous because it is freezing there in the winter.

As for this not being in the media, a lot of missing children's cases do not get as much media attention as poor Madeline. I moved the English translation up - this email was going around to Spanish expats in China so who knows if there are stories on Spanish websites. But even if there are not, it is very optimistic to think that every missing child gets international media attention, or significant media attention at all in publications with internet sites who publish news articles.

I don't really see how this perpetuates fear, because it is not like the hoaxes in the past I have read where people start freaking out about the 'fact' that your kid could have his hair chopped off in the bathroom and whisked away, or a kidnapper could use another child and pretend your kid is his/her little sister you are trying to take away, etcetc. This story has no details on how she was lost - it's just asking for information. The only thing I can think of now that I am typing this is parents of blonde blue-eyed kids thinking Chinese people want to steal their kids, but I seem to recall on a different thread that apparently Chinese people love taking photos of those kids already, so I doubt this raises any alarm bells for those parents since they experience extra attention anyway. Either way, small price to pay if this is just getting the word out on a legitimate lost child.

So in conclusion, yes, I also used my intellect to ascertain the legitimacy of this and decided it could be true. And I wrote this response to rebut some of what was said because again, I think it could be true.
    Last edited by ssheng; 11-18-2011 at 03:12 PM.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by ssheng View Post
    So in conclusion, yes, I also used my intellect to ascertain the legitimacy of this and decided it could be true. And I wrote this response to rebut some of what was said because again, I think it could be true.
    Excellent; so we have a difference of opinion which lends itself perfectly into gambling. Would you like to put a friendly wager to see if this is true or a hoax? My previous offer stands, if I win I will donate the amount to PLK - if you win, I will happily deliver the money to your home.

To settle the bet we will call that number as well as email and call the Spanish chamber mentioned in the chain letter.

All you have to do is to name the amount. If you have high confidence about this story and your intellect then this should win you some money very quickly.

I look forward to your response.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I entered the details in to the international centre for missing and exploited children website and there were no results found. I would also assume that this is a hoax.
    Last edited by AmyH; 11-18-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Honestly, howard, you are and continue to be ... puzzling to me in your passion for these and many other topics. I didn't say I'm positive this is true, I said it COULD be, and that unless it were 100% fake, I thought it was worth the 10 second read by anyone who wanted to read through, and the 2 minutes it took me to post, just in case it could help a family who lost their child. And yes I did think that was a remote chance, but again, didn't see the harm. I'm not 'spamming' your email, at worst your mouse had to hover over this topic for an extra second or you had to click to get out of it. Never presented it as fact - quite the opposite, just by my original post you'll see I considered it might be a 'scam' (my words), so fair warning to readers. Why exactly you started talking about gambling and a wager is a mystery to me.

Go ahead and call the number or the Spanish chamber. As I also said in my original post, happy to have it be a hoax - that means one less family has lost a child, so by your measure I 'win' either way (although really - betting on whether a child is missing?? Seems like you have pretty poor taste - or a gambling addiction).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top