Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sleeping arrangements for children on night flights?

alfa is offline Registered User
    I always fly during the day as i just cant cope with night flights and the lack of sleep.My daughter is very goon on long haul tho- last time she was 20 months we took an ipad and some new toys she hasnt seen before and she was fine. i find she was too big for the basinet at 10 months so never bothered with that. we got her a seat every time and i think that was a key to successs for both night and day flights. Why arent they any basinets? I assume you are flying BA? The have this great seats like Baby Bjorn for older kids instead of bassinets. Cant you ask to go on a different flight so they have thenm availiable? id not just take baby ergo or bjorn so you can strap the little one and its quite likely he will sleep on your chest and you dont have to worry about holding him etc.Plus it means yo have free hands to eat:) it will be ok.Ive done that flight 4 times on my own and althought i was exhausted it is doable:)

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your replies.

I was hoping that we wouldn't have to buy him his own seat for another year. On this particular flight, we can't really get him his own seat because we are flying business so too expensive. Anyway, the seat configuration is too separate for him to be near me if he's in a different seat. I doubt the company would pay for an additional seat for him. One thing we could do is get 3 economy seats.

Alfa, its Cathay and they only have 2 bassinets on that flight and both of them are booked already. Its our own fault because we changed our flight details quite late.The baby bjorn idea is a good one. I'll take that anyway because, yes, it will free up my hands at least so will be useful even when we aren't sleeping. I've flown on my own with him at 5 months, but different then because he just slept all the way. Now he is into everything I know it will be exhausting!

Still weighing up night flight versus day flight. If he sleeps former is surely better...but so worried he won't.

Carang - feel very lucky I don't have your journey to do!

Biggie is offline Registered User
    If you fly business it's a flat bed so if you can get baby to sleep on one corner of the bed then perhaps you can squeeze yourself next to him/her depending on your size. Or try putting baby on daddy's chest?

pipinhk is offline Registered User
    I'm for night flights. For us it was much easier to keep our little one awake at the other end (UK) to help reduce the jetlag than keep her entertained on the 12 hour flight!

carang is offline Registered User
    wah! if you are going business with a flat seat... i would definitely opt for night flight!... much easier than in economy!

alfa is offline Registered User
    If its bussiness I wouldnt worry just get baby bjorn or ergo and you wil be fine. I agree the seat configuration is not great to have a separate seat. I went bussiness a couple of time with my daughter and we kind of managed to squeeze in together on the seat. If I reacall there is usually one set of seats that are next to each other se if you can get those if not just get one that is the most private. Anyuway there might be a spare seat and it is quite likely the stewardesses willl let you use it.I assume you are flying with your hubby so you should be fine. For the future what I found the most useful (our company wouldnt pay for the bub until she was 2) was getting premium economy with three seats. The Quantas and BA have them.The food was way better than economy, the cabin was smaller and they had way more space. I also used t stress that people in Bussines Class would hate me for flying with a child but suprisingly everyone was really nice - most travellers were dads themselves so I even got one who offered to look after her when I went to the loo etc:)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I think it's funny to read these comments and think to myself, "I always fly whenever the ticket is cheaper." I usually don't have much to choose from--if the ticket is at night, it's at night, if it's in the day, it's in the day.

But, anyway, it's a 20-hour flight (of in-air time, not counting time spent on layovers which usually is between 6-10 hours) when we fly back to where I'm from so I pretty much just always have it set in my mind that it's going to be exhausting and overwhelming and then if it happens to be better I'm truly surprised. Flying on United States airlines is the worst too. When I flew with my 1-year-old it was a rough flight. I made the entire trip by myself (well...accompanied by my 1-year-old). He had his own seat coming back to HK but he didn't want to stay in it. All of the usual tricks (toys, games, food, video etc.) didn't do anything for him--he was just about as sick of being on that airplane as I was. The passengers on the plane did not take kindly to walking him around the plane (he was walking on his own by that point) as he tried to grab at things on their tables and was making noise so that wasn't so much fun.

But, basically no matter what it's a full 24-hour period of traveling for us so whether I leave in the AM or PM is kind of inconsequential. It doesn't really matter at that point because in a new environment my children are too excited to sleep. I basically didn't sleep at all the entire flight and he slept just a tiny bit. I was burnt out and exhausted when I got back but then again, that's what I was prepared for so it wasn't a big deal. Thankfully, I had family waiting to help me out after I got back.

I think that the most important is the arrival time in the OP's case. I would book my flight so that I can arrive at night so a strong bed-time routine can be established--for adult and child. It also depends on how long you'll be away for and as carang said how many time zones you're crossing. When I go back to where I'm from I switch days--so my body is on HK daytime and where I'm at is the middle of the night. If you're only going to be there a week then it probably doesn't matter that much to try to get over jetlag but if it's longer then it's good to fall into a routine and adjust your body to the new time zone from the get-go. Also helpful is to get out and get a full dose of sunlight the next morning and eat frequently and on schedule with your destination. Jetlag with little kids--especially if you worked really hard to develop a consistent schedule--can be a real pain. Good luck.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

The Nielsen's is offline Registered User
    We have a one year old and have taken him on the UK connection 8 times. We are fortunate enough to go business and we always have a seat for him and we always fly at night. Did the day time flight once, never doing it again. Him and I have the two middle seat on BA which is the only airline that have seats close enough together that I can see, hear and touch him. He always used to sleep in his own seat but on the way back from Summer in Europe in Srptember (11 months) he slept half the night in his seat and half in mine as he us much more aware of his surroundings. The seats are wide enough that I can lie next to him. I am not saying you will sleep like a princess but it can be done. Cathay Pacific seats are too far apart and not wide enough - even in first class.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12