Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Template/instructions incase of missing/death

lalila is offline Registered User

Template/instructions incase of missing/death

Hi does anyone have a template or instructions for their helper they are willing to share incase of missing/death of parents.

I would like to leave instructions in case of this ever (god forbid) happening and ive started to write something but realized there is so much which needs to go into it.

Has anyone written any instructions for their helper or any other thoughts on this topic please let me know. thank you all very much

canadianinhk is offline Registered User
    We have a will and have legally appointed temporary guardians here in Hong Kong that would be responsible for everything until our guardian and executor arrived in HK to take over. The helper would contact them and they would do the rest.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    I wanted to bump up this topic opened by lalila as I have been
    bugged by the thought that I do not have a plan if something unfortunate happens to us parents & there's no one to look after my kids.

My husband & I decided that the temporary guardian will be my sister who can fly here within half a day. So we will write up that Deed of Temporary Guardianship. As for the legal guardians, we have two very good immediate families (US & Europe) we had in mind so we made our decision based on the fact that it would be easier for our kids to go to Europe since they are EU passport holders.

So to answer lalila's question, in case of untimely death or missing, our helper will contact my sister to fly immediately. Then the helper will contact our family friend here to assist her looking after my kids in the interim. Both will have a list of emergency contact numbers.

Here is a previous thread I found on legal guardianship. Legal Guardianship

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    As far as I know - and we sought professional advice on this - unless you leave written instructions that your children are to remain in your home, being looked after by your helper and specific named friends, until the legal guardian arrives, HK social services will actually remove them from your home and put them in a care home until the guardian arrives. After all, the helper/friends have no legal right of guardianship - therefore it would fall to the authorities to 'protect' the children until the appointed caregiver arrives (yes, it may only be half a day or 36 hrs, but imagine the extra trauma for your children!).

Also, if the employer dies, the helper's visa is automatically cancelled; so she may not even have the right to remain for an interim period while the guardian sorts things out in Hong Kong.

It's really important to get a document drafted to cover all eventualities. Having said that, it took us 4 years to do it!

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkyblues View Post
    Also, if the employer dies, the helper's visa is automatically cancelled; so she may not even have the right to remain for an interim period while the guardian sorts things out in Hong Kong.
    Yikes! Didn't even realise that. All the more reason to get that deed sorted. Thanks for the advice.

meimeid is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkyblues View Post
    It's really important to get a document drafted to cover all eventualities. Having said that, it took us 4 years to do it!
    We have heard the same from our advisor at my husband's company. Do you have recommendations on where we can do this, Honkyblues? And what are the costs?