Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Moving to US, looking for some... help, reassurance?!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

I was not attempting to spread fear but rather attempting to bring a slight bit balance to the conversation. Every place has its pluses and minuses.

Commenters seem to be gushing on how lovely and nice these major cities are (with their shopping, big highways etc); but they are forgetting the fact that practically every one of these big cities has no go areas as you've admitted yourself (areas to be easily avoided).

I love being in Hong Kong which has no such areas that I'm aware of and cannot imagine going back to North America and having to tell my wife and kids:
    "no, dont go there", "dont use public transport after dark" etc etc

To the OP : I've been to Nashville quite a few times and overall its a lovely city.
    I hope you find yourself some accommodation in a decent neighborhood (eg Franklin, Brentwood) and a decent school; but make sure you dont mistake the place for a safe place like Hong Kong as Nashville regularly ranks in the top 10 of crime rankings for big cities in USA.
    Extra good news : The crime rates in Nashville have been steadily going down for the past 15 years.

pipinhk is offline Registered User

Well as we're going to be living in Nashville, I will take the comments about Atlanta as reference for the future.
    HC, we are aware of the other issues we face moving to a large city in the US, we've only been in HK for 3 years so while we appreciate the safety factor here we haven't forgotten what it's like living in a big city.

What I was looking for was the comfort factor, the things to look forward to, so thank you for all those that have passed that on :)

thanka2 likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    we are actually seriously talking about going to vancouver (probably whiterock or langley.... maybe steveston) by 2013....we'll see. i've been talking about going back for the past 15 years or so, just never manage to get around to it! LOL!

ps> one of the reasons i have never wanted to live in the states is the lack of gun control laws. i grew up on a farm and my dad is an avid hunter, but i really don't see the need for the weaponry that is allowed to be owned by anyone who wants down south.... but that's just me.
    Side-note, I thought it was interesting to look up my own state. We have the absolute loosest gun laws in the United States. Ninety-percent of all households have a gun. No gun registration. No gun owner registration. No state waiting period requirements. There were 12 murders that involved a gun in 2010. There are seven states that had less than that. I think you'd be safe with us. Actually, experts believe why the crime rate is low is actually because of high gun ownership because people aren't willing to confront other people (robbery, assault) when they know that that other people will likely be armed.

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULAR PROGRAMMING. :)
    rebekah likes this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

What scares me most about gun laws isn't the rate of gun related violence and crime, but the ridiculously huge number of kids (and adults, but mostly it's kids) who are killed in gun related accidents...

penguinsix is offline Registered User

Hi

I think the biggest adjustment is going to be the absolute necessity of having a car, if not multiple cars. The US is built around the car such that it is essential to drive to do the core necessities of daily life, such as getting to school, groceries, doctor visits, etc. Public transit and taxis are nothing like you'll be used to either here or in the UK.

Other have outlined some of Nashville's good points, such as clean air, open space and large homes. Crime is an issue in the US but you'll also start to realize that the vast overwhelming majority of crime is hyper-localized to certain parts, such that it may surprise you after being ready for gun battles and knife fights around every corner (this is an interesting story filed by the BBC's US correspondent about how peaceful the US can be despite having so many guns: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...nt/7359513.stm)

My other suggestion is to poke over to the British Expats in the US website. You'll find some Brits who have relocated to Nashville and the surrounding area and can advise you in more detail on specific neighborhoods and areas you might want to visit:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

rebekah likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
    Hi

I think the biggest adjustment is going to be the absolute necessity of having a car, if not multiple cars. The US is built around the car such that it is essential to drive to do the core necessities of daily life, such as getting to school, groceries, doctor visits, etc. Public transit and taxis are nothing like you'll be used to either here or in the UK.

Other have outlined some of Nashville's good points, such as clean air, open space and large homes. Crime is an issue in the US but you'll also start to realize that the vast overwhelming majority of crime is hyper-localized to certain parts, such that it may surprise you after being ready for gun battles and knife fights around every corner (this is an interesting story filed by the BBC's US correspondent about how peaceful the US can be despite having so many guns: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...nt/7359513.stm)

My other suggestion is to poke over to the British Expats in the US website. You'll find some Brits who have relocated to Nashville and the surrounding area and can advise you in more detail on specific neighborhoods and areas you might want to visit:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57
    Thanks for the article, my governor was quoted in it. :)

And yes, you'll need a car which can be a blessing and a curse at the same time--hope it will be more of a blessing than anything.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

pipinhk is offline Registered User

Thankfully we already know the neighbourhoods to look at and we are narrowing in on schools which makes the process easier.
    I can not wait to get a car, I love the MTR for the fact that it's so convenient but the thought of being able to go door to door is so exciting.

As for guns, not really my thing but best to keep opinions to ourselves on this, we do know some folk there who are very pro right to carry arms, each to their own

thanka2 likes this.

carang is offline Registered User

when moving to the US, though, guns DO figure into it. i think we are all adults here. we can discuss the good/the bad and the things we disagree about without too many problems.

thanka2 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast