Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Bigger lady looking for clothes

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    Is it possible to send one of your family or friends shopping for you in the US? I've done that before - my mum usually buys me stuff that she knows I'll like (usually very plain, t-shirts etc) when I haven't been able to find them here. Even with shipping, it isn't bad...
    I have done this in the past for some things--especially shoes and I always do it if someone we know is coming to HK and has room to bring me stuff in their luggage. The problem is with fit. I'm not easy to shop for for fit--especially for trousers. I literally have to try on every pair of trousers to see if they will fit regardless of size. My mom has tried in the past to buy things "in my size" but we've never had any success with that. I have several pairs of trousers I'll never be able to wear because the rise is too short. My proportions are a bit awkward, actually--especially because of my long rise (the length between crotch and waist) and rather wide hips. Often trousers will fit everywhere but the rise will be way too short which leaves me with two problems--1) "plumber crack" 2) "muffin top" :P That really isn't a pretty sight! Ha ha ha!

The other thing with having clothes shipped is that it is expensive. In the past we've shipped with the USPS and had hundreds of dollars worth of clothes lost! They were finally retrieved but it was about 6 months later and took a lot of effort. And even shipping with USPS isn't cheap in the first place. So, we usually have to ship with something like FedEx just to be sure. So, if one of my main issues is the cost of clothing it's hard to save money if you're doing it that way.

I do a bit envy women who can easily find their size here in HK. I've found that living here can have the tendency to make me have a very negative view toward my body.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

carang is offline Registered User
    yep, feel like a total whale here.... but when i head over to NA, i feel normal...

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User
    Why don't you try stanley market. Was there last sunday and saw some clothes with labels in size XXXXL.....

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by shwetakhanna View Post
    Why don't you try stanley market. Was there last sunday and saw some clothes with labels in size XXXXL.....
    He he he...I think that those XXXXL stores are often an exaggeration. The stores I've seen there may carry men's clothes in large sizes but haven't seen much in the way of women's clothes. Will have to take a look there if I ever make it to Stanley. :) Thanks for the reminder.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    For shoes...wait till sale time and you will be able to buy loads for a good deal...try the outlet stores in horizon plaza, whenever I go, they always have plenty of size 44 leftover and if you wait long enough they will be so desperate to "get rid of the stock" that the price really goes down a lot. After the Christmas holidays should epbe a good time. Good luck!

rebekah is offline Registered User
    the store in stanley market that sells linen (past the turn off on the left) definitely has larger sizes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123