Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

MMR combined vaccine and risks

banane76 is offline Registered User
    We waited til 15 months so she could just have it on its own. At 12 months, she just had the pneumococcal booster. Then at 18 months, we did the big 6 in 1, DTap vaccine with Hib. She was fine afterwards. My family doctor recommended to do it that way since I was concerned with so many at once. We're still holding out on the chickenpox vaccination though.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Thanks. Good to hear that everyone is happy with it.

Why holding out on the chickenpox Banane? Don't think it's necessary?

Charade, I haven't heard about the speech delay. Nor has it been mentioned on anything I read.

I know that the original author of the publication on MMR & autism has been discredited but I don't know whether there were other studies. One of the doctors I saw when I just had my baby, still put a lot of store by what he said; he'd met him when he came to Hong Kong apparently, and he was the one who first discussed with us the option of doing separate injections. I don't go to him anymore though, and don't necessarily want to consult him on this as he is a GP with a lot of infant experience rather than a paediatrician, and I think he may have a bit of an evangelist approach as he has spoken with the author about it personally. Or maybe I'm being too harsh.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    I know that the original author of the publication on MMR & autism has been discredited but I don't know whether there were other studies.
    Plenty! Here is a good list:
    http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4026.pdf (contains old and new)
    http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandoli...nes/MMRUK.html
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...60330220100104

gpjapan is offline Registered User
    We see Richard Chiu and he recommends doing seperate jabs and for Mmr delaying it a bit if you are concerned about the autism issue.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by gpjapan View Post
    We see Richard Chiu and he recommends doing seperate jabs and for Mmr delaying it a bit if you are concerned about the autism issue.
    Next time you see Richard Chiu, ask him why he would recommend something while the CDC says "No published scientific evidence shows any benefit in separating the combination MMR vaccine into three individual shots".
    If one doesn't trust the CDC, I can cite many more national and internationally recognized medical authorities with the same recommendation.
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Vaccines/MMR/MMR.html

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    Next time you see Richard Chiu, ask him why he would recommend something while the CDC says "No published scientific evidence shows any benefit in separating the combination MMR vaccine into three individual shots".
    If one doesn't trust the CDC, I can cite many more national and internationally recognized medical authorities with the same recommendation.
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Vaccines/MMR/MMR.html
    This was not the advice we got from Dr. Chiu - in fact he recommended the MMR combination to be given (not separated into three jabs). He may have recommended giving the chicken pox or flu shot (can't remember which) at a different time than MMR because giving the 4 immunizations on the same day slightly increases the risk of mild side effects (eg. low grade fever/ nothing serious). We spoke with him at length on our kids vaccination schedule and his advice is very much in line with current practice in the US.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Hey licorice,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Holding out because thought she would get it before starting school...however she still hasn't so probably going to get the jab this year before she does start school.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12