Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Manual Pump?

zozorro is offline Registered User

Which Manual Pump?

I have a Medela double electric pump for home use but want a manual pump for travel or outside use. I have never used a manual pump before so no idea which is better - Avent Isis or Medela Harmony? Thx for your input! :)

charade is offline Registered User
    I have a smallish Medela that can be operated with a battery for when you don't have a plug point. Not sure which model since I borrowed it but if you're interested I can check.

zozorro is offline Registered User
    That should be the single electric pump. I'm looking at something more quiet and lighter that's why thinking of buying a manual pump. Thanks for sharing though. :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I've tried both that you mentioned and prefer the Medela. Plus, if you already have the Medela electric, the bottles as well as the valve etc are interchangeable.

If you have a fast flow, the Isis will not drain fast enough and cause a back log of milk that only empties into the bottle if you take it off your breast. It was so annoying... but if your flow is not that fast, it wouldn't be an issue, I assume...

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I used to pump using Avent Isis, and did have the back log of milk that Nicole described, but then learned that it was because I didn't hold the pump right. Actually you have to hold the pump so that the bottle is in a complete perpendicular position with the floor... otherwise, it might build up a back log of milk, or even leak milk. Other thing that drove me crazy was the squeak sound... From some reason, the pumps would sometime make some annoying squeak sound each time I compress the handle.

If I am going to buy a new pump again, i might try the Medela Harmony instead.

Gataloca - mine backed up even when holding it perpendicular to the floor! Not as badly, but still. Plus that's an awfully uncomfortable position to be pumping in...

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I bought the Avent manual pump, and I DON'T recommend it.
    First of all, it squeaks like crazy. If I'm pumping in the living room, my husband can hear it in the bedroom on the other end of the flat. It's also uncomfortable.
    And you have to squeeze your hand several hundred times just to get a full feed out.
    A friend of mine who visited me at home -- he's a doctor -- called it a "medival instrument." He was joking. But he seriously wondered why I didn't just buy a compact battery-operated model.
    I'm going to listen to him and get one soon.

I bought a cheap battery operated one - it wasn't a "big brand" though. It was useless. The hand ones were both better for me. I preferred the hand ones for pumping on the go. Not only are they lighter and more portable, but they also are more effective, in my experience...

I have a friend who EXCLUSIVELY pumped for her daughter for over 2 years and the entire time used the Harmony. She had a huge supply and even donated the excess, all hand pumped...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast