Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Expat communities with clubhouse

AussieJen is offline Registered User

Expat communities with clubhouse

We are looking at taking a job in HK in the New Territory area. I'd love to live in a place where we have a pool. Kids parks/playgrounds etc and other fellow expats. We would love something with a garden - however small. We have 2 small children - 3 and 9 months who are used to wide open spaces and living in a small Aussie country town. unfortunately our budget is only going to be about 20 -30 hkd a month. I'm stressing out about finding something that's not a complete dive. Any advice would be fantastic! I'm totally clueless.

AmyH is offline Registered User

If you are considering the new territories then Gold Coast might be an option for you. It has a club house, swimming pools, football pitch, play grounds and is next to the beach, near hiking trails etc.

The website is www.goldcoast.com.hk

Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    If you are considering the new territories then Gold Coast might be an option for you. It has a club house, swimming pools, football pitch, play grounds and is next to the beach, near hiking trails etc.

The website is www.goldcoast.com.hk
    Thanks AmyH - I'll check it out!

Fairview Park and Park Island????

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on Fairview Park. Would we be better off living in a villa there or getting an apartment somewhere like Park Island? I can only find one villa for rent in FVP for $22K but it looks quite small and rundown. Is there nicer renovated ones for around the $30K mark? Our budget is very limiting - hopefully we can negotiate more. I'm finding it really hard to find rentals on the internet. Can anyone suggest a good website?

meimeid is offline Registered User

Try gohome.com.hk for an idea, but keep in mind that most properties end up being more expensive (5-10%) than website states. Also, what is shown as available is not necessary available anymore.
    It has a good overview of possibilities to consider though.

carang is offline Registered User

the new territories is a HUGE area... you may want to let us know where you will be working so that we can come up with places nearby... ex gold coast is great if you will be working in tuen mun, but if you are working in shatin, not so much.

sai kung is great if you are working in shatin and don't mind driving or taking the bus. tai po would also be good...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    the new territories is a HUGE area... you may want to let us know where you will be working so that we can come up with places nearby... ex gold coast is great if you will be working in tuen mun, but if you are working in shatin, not so much.

sai kung is great if you are working in shatin and don't mind driving or taking the bus. tai po would also be good...
    We've only got vague details at the moment until we hear back from HR. In the next fortnight we should know more. Is Sai Kung or Tai Po a housing estate or an area? I'll google them and see what I can come up with!

Is anyone else out there in housing in our price range? What sort of accommodation did you manage to get? Are you happy with the standard and facilities?

carang is offline Registered User

they are "towns" not estates. you might get a full village house (2100') possibly a garden for the price. but you would have to make do with the public swimming pool (the one in sai kung is not very busy, has a kids'area, a shallow training pool and a lap pool~my kids love it and it's CHEAP!) and the public playgrounds. sai kung has a huge expat population, many restaurants, a few local kindergartens (decent quality, expat kids going and learning cantonese!) some international kindergartens. it's more like a small town than anything....

if you can't get a full house, you would get a duplex for sure (2 floors of a village house) that would either include a garden area or a rooftop that you can make into your own little garden.

AussieJen likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast