Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to buy in uk and America before departing?

Seross is offline Registered User

What to buy in uk and America before departing?

Hi,
    My husband and I have just had the happy news that we're expecting our first baby next summer. We have only lived in HK for two months and i will be traveling back to the USA for a few weeks in the upcoming months. I was wondering if there are things that I should buy whilst there (or in the UK) before heading back to hong kong. Anything that we either wouldn't be able to buy in HK or that would be cheaper to buy in the USA/UK. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Baby clothes for sure ...not so many new born ones, but say from 6mths onwards. Bibs would be cheaper if you buy by the bulk in the states...grobags cost HK300-400 here...might be cheaper in the states too but not 100%sure. If you are having a baby girl, then it'd be worth investing in some prissy socks (if you like that sort of stuff) cause those are hard to come by in HK....think the brand is tiny toes. Maternity clothes...more variety I believe in the states. Congrats!

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Quality baby toys are significantly less expensive in the states! Exersaucers, bouncy chairs, bumbo chairs, shape sorter toys... you name it it is most likely cheaper in the states. As well as strollers, baby carriers, cloth diapers (if you're thinking of using them), breast pumps...

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Everything! Well, almost everything will be cheaper and of better quality and selection...at least in the States. I would say buy a pack n' play (portable crib), stroller (and/or car seat if you need those), sippy cups and bottles, breast pump if you're going to pump breast milk (you will save a significant amount of money if you go with a quality pump by Medela and buy it in the States), bottle brush (Munchkins makes good stuff and it's cheaper in the States), weaning kits (bowl, spoon, fork), bullet blender (for pureeing baby food). If you have a lot of room you can buy diapers in bulk at places like Costco for a lot less. Swaddling blankets, nightgowns, nursing bras, nursing clothing. Basically, everything. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

bonita is offline Registered User
    Do buy maternity clothes because there are a lot more choices in the states and cheaper.

If you plan on breastfeeding, definitely buy nursing tops & bras. I personally would buy disposable breast pads, too, as they are quite expensive here and always out of stock.

If you buy electronics in the states, i.e. breast pump etc, make sure it's universal voltage.

As for baby, I wouldn't worry too much about clothes. But I'd definitely buy bottles, cups, spoons, toys, teether etc.

jbmom is offline Registered User
    pricewise, i think MOST things are comparable here. it's just the selection is lacking compared to the US. one thing i would highly suggest though is formula (if you plan on bottle feeding). we just moved from new york this past august, and US made enfamil is almost $400 at city super!!!! diapers and wipes too, but if lacking space in the luggage, i would def bring the formula!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by bonita View Post
    If you buy electronics in the states, i.e. breast pump etc, make sure it's universal voltage.
    Sometimes it's hard to find this in the States BUT, I brought my Medela pump from the States that runs on 110v and bought an inexpensive photography equipment adapter (less than 100 HKD) which converts 220v to 110v and it has served me well for the past few years. I "blew up" the first power adapter when I plugged it in here so don't make that mistake.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    I bought my medela pump in the states and don't need a voltage converter to use it here....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast