Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Air Traveling for a pregnant women plus public hospital news

sabasaqib is offline Registered User

Air Traveling for a pregnant women plus public hospital news

Hi mums

I am double minded and need to consult yr experience

1. I am around 30 weeks pregnant now, i have to come back with my hubby back home in Lahore for an emergency when I was 26 weeks now we are planing to come back to HK for delivery, my pregnancy so far is very smooth without any problem so what do u suggest, we have four hour flight fm Lahore to Bangkok and then 2 hours from Bangkok to hong kong after 2 hours break for plane change

2. We register for birth at public hospital (united Christian hospital kwun tong) and first appointment was of 8th Nov but was not able to attend because we travelled back on 5th NOV so can we still enjoy public hospital birth since we both have ID card

Your suggestion means a lot for me, waiting

Saba

JL168 is offline Registered User
    Hi there!

traveling at 30weeks is no problem, as long as you had a pregnancy with no complications!
    I flew from hong kong to europe (17 hours total) last week, and i had no problems! I did get up several times to walk around, to pee and to stretch my legs and everything was just fine! The only thing you need to check is the airline's policy.
    I was 31weeks far, and my airline allowed me to board with only a medical certification, stating i was fit to fly. After 32weeks, i would have also needed a special permission from the airline itself.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    I think at about 34 weeks the airlines will start requesting a doctor's note, or just refusing to let you fly. You might want to check with your airline as to the specifics of their rules.

One of the big concerns is dehydration. You should be sure to drink plenty of liquid while on the plane as dehydration can lead to some premature labor situations. I think the general rule is about 8-12fl oz per hour on the plane (12 fl oz is about the size of a can of Coke).

Leta is offline Registered User
    Hello jus to share.. I dun think is much of a problem to travel back for you. I am singaporean but live in hong kong. When I had my first child, I travel back and fro Singapore for the impt check such as the detailed foetus scan in order to keep my record with my gynae. Had no problem with that at all... When its time to go back to Singapore in preparation for delivery, I flew back when I was wk 34 coz due to work I can't take such a long leave thats why i left so late. Everything went smoothly. But I do have a doctor letter that certify I am fit to travel. The air crew did not check actually coz I was not very big...so I dun think you shd worried too much. :)

Leta is offline Registered User
    Oh like some ladies had suggested make sure u are well hydrated and also do get up to walk ard a but ESP during ur 4 hr flight :)

charade is offline Registered User
    For the public hospital, I think you need to have attended at least one appointment there before you go into labour. I was also told that I could skip appointments but need to attend after week 36.

Maybe best to give the MCH/hospital a call and find out directly, even if it means making an international call, if you're relying on delivery in a public hospital. That said, in the worst case, you can turn up at the Emergency of a public hospital and they would have to take you in but I wouldn't want to go through the insecurity of that.

sabasaqib is offline Registered User
    Hi all,

Many many thanks for replies especiallly Leta

Pls let me know if public hospital do not take me in can i arrange a private hospital in hurry to give birth in HK

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by sabasaqib View Post
    Pls let me know if public hospital do not take me in can i arrange a private hospital in hurry to give birth in HK
    You will have to speak to the public hospital in your home catchment area where you are registered and confirm their particular policies as they can vary by hospital. As long as you attend at least one appointment you should be fine. There is also the public emergency room option, as others have noted, but should be avoided if possible.

Also, make sure you have your HK ID card with you when travelling to HK while pregnant. When I traveled from the US to HK when I was expecting I had misplaced my ID card and had a bit of trouble (took almost 3 hours) for me to clear immigration on the HK side even though I had a valid HK work visa in my US passport. Not sure exactly what they were concerned about, but apparently something to do with pregnant women entering HK...

Regarding your flight, each airlines have their own rules for flying. If you are after 28 weeks, the safe route is to get a letter from your doctor stating how far along you are and that you are fit to fly. If the staff have any concerns about how far along you are (the larger you appear, the more likely you are to be asked questions) they can prevent you from boarding

Regarding arranging a spot in a private hospital, if you are planning to do this in HK and are already 30 weeks along, the chances of your finding any private hospital here with a spot are almost none, unless you already have a confirmed booking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast