Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

pregnant with baby number 2 while toddler is 3 years old

lesliefu is offline Registered User

I would just start expecting your #1 to walk...my number #1 and #2 are 22 mths apart and #2 and #3 are 14mths apart....(3,1, and 4mths)....and becoming more independent...but also at the same time giving #1 some alone time that does not involve carrying as you don't want #1 to develop any negative feelings towards the baby. I carried all my babies when I was pregnant, up until 35wks but not for long stretches....kind of hard to avoid all together....but younhave to listen to your body...I stopped because by the end I could feel the weight pressing down on my belly and I was scared it would force me to deliver early....we never used the stroller when the kids were awake, only dor them to nap in if we happened to be out in town....too much trouble opening and closing them on our part- just kind of lazy I guess. You will be surprised what they can do - my 2 girls can walk from Baguio to cyberport by themselves when you ignore their requests to be carried!

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I have had back problems for a long time--some of it was related to sports injuries when I was a teenager. Some of it is genetics as my dad and brother both have had similar problems and these problems were made worse by my first pregnancy. I learned the hard way to be careful with my spine. It's very easy to injure your spine simply by standing in the wrong way or even moving too quickly. I had a professor that literally reached down to help her grandson do something--did it too fast and at an awkward angle and eventually had to have back surgery because of it.

So, all I can say is that no matter what, be careful with your spine. My son was 2.5-years-old when I got pregnant with my daughter. He learned very quickly that mama couldn't pick him up anymore. I tried it a few times and the irritation to my back reminded me of how debilitating my condition could be if I wasn't careful. If my husband saw me try it he would totally not stand for it because he's had to haul me around when I was dealing with back injuries and take care of me--he knows how bad it can be.

There were a lot of physical things I couldn't do any more with my son. It just made me focus on other ways I could interact with him. He learned to be more gentle with me. At first I could rough-house a bit with him but by the time I was 5 or 6-months pregnant my body was telling me that that wasn't a good idea--especially since sometimes little children don't know how not to be too rough (the other day I was rough-housing with my now 4-year-old son and he kicked me in the chin on accident!)

By the time my son was 3-years-old he became really good at walking--we stopped using a stroller by the time he was 3-years-old as well. Of course, my son still had his dad to toss him around and wrestle with him and also his grandpa so the fact that I couldn't do the same didn't mean he didn't get that type of physical interaction.

Just take it from someone who has suffered greatly with a back injury (at times unable to stand upright, I had to crawl on all fours to get around my home!)--don't risk it by picking your son up. It may be no big deal but there could be that one time and you could have to pay dearly for it. Back injury is one of the most miserable things that can happen to a person.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

missprincepessa is offline Registered User

Your nearly three year old should be really independent by now (ie. walking most places)? Mine was just 3 when his brother was born and it just wasn't an issue at all. Why not let him become a little independent and only pick him up or use strollers on very long walks? Cuddles are just as good as picking up and hurt you less!(-:

pixelelf is offline Registered User

I was pregnant with my 2nd when my son was 2 years old. I carried him alot initially till the bump got bigger and i cut down alot. He would notice how i struggled to walk up the overhead bridge that we'd use on our way to school. He'd ask me to carry him at times, and i told him i've no strength to carry him, can he please hold my hand instead and help me walk on? he would accept it and walk with me. and that wasnt the end. he would ask every 10mins. and got the same answer and walked :)

he did not like the stroller, so i'd use his tricycle and push him to the playground/ shops/ library. we had no helper till i was abt 8mths into the pregnancy. my husband would take over evening and weekends, bring him out with his tricycle, play ball or get groceries.

During this time, we did alot of craft, where i could sit down and work with him. we began making lanterns to light up the home, so that dad would not feel lonely, when we went back to our home country to give birth. it was great. he believed in the cause, spent 1-2 hrs everyday, just cutting, painting, pasting. for 5-6mths!

i also went to our building's playground everyday for 1.5hrs. he would climb + play. i could sit and watch him. when he needed my interaction, we would blow bubbles and snuggle up to read stories. towards the end of my pregnancy, we were still wall painting and walking ard the parks and playgrounds (2x!) everyday.

i couldnt do things very fast, or carry him much. but we still had our fun, just slower and he came out more independent and can i use the word "empathetic"? that he can take care of mummy as much i take care of him.

bagel is offline Registered User

Thank you all for sharing your diversity of experiences and thoughts. Very helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12