Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

How has pregnancy change your lifestyle?

baby and mama is offline Registered User
    Hi Gracey and Carang,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Sorry, I was unclear in the question of social status. I am actually referring to the change of your social life with your friends, colleague and and public.

May I know is there any change with you family relationship?

What if you have a wish list that can make you pregnancy more comfortable, what would you wish?

cheers~

charade is offline Registered User
    How has pregnancy change your lifestyle?

The first trimester of both my pregnancies sucked. I was very nauseous, ravenous, and generally unwell. I pretty much got through it a day at a time, dragging myself into work. Second trimester on, I was pretty active - though I did slow down due to my growing bulk. I went to sleep earlier, ate more, etc. Towards the end, I'd avoid going out on Friday night after work... too tired. I gave up alcohol and coffee but still drank iced tea. I was more careful with food for my first pregnancy - though by HK standards I was very lax - and this pregnancy have eaten everything. However, I craved spicy food in my first pregnancy and can't stand spicy this pregnancy. This time around finding food I want to eat is a problem though I'm hungry all the time.

• How do you usually spend your time?

I have a one-year-old so I spend most of my time with him. Other than that, life went on as normal.

• What products and services do they spend most during pregnancy?

My pregnancy was pretty inexpensive. Antenatal appointments were the most expensive but that actually got covered by insurance in the end. I had to buy larger clothes as I went along but except for two pairs of pregnancy trousers - one formal for work and one pair of jeans - didn't specifically buy maternity wear. Found maternity clothes overpriced.

• Is there any changes in your wellness and fitness?

I wasn't super fit to start with. For my first pregnancy I was spotting and so deliberately stayed off exercise in the first trimester. Later, I started taking long walks.

• Do you notice any behavior change in you?

My husband claimed I was more hormonal.

• Pets issue

Don't have pets in HK but I'm an animal lover so don't think it would have made a difference if I did.

• Is there any role change in your social status?

My colleagues at work are more solicitous - they look out for me when we're walking together down the street, they're scandalised at some of the food I eat. I didn't go out as much but my friends remained my friends and always ran restaurant choices by me because they knew I'd become more picky about food.

Wish list - hmmm nothing that money can buy I guess. I wish the first trimester didn't suck. I wish people would give up their seat in the MTR, especially when you're standing in front of the seats marked for the purpose. I wish there were hospitals offering services somewhere between public and the currently overpriced private.

Honestly, the big changes in life come once the baby is born. Pregnancy is not such a big deal relative to that.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    • How has pregnancy change your lifestyle?

For my third pregnancy my lifestyle didn't change much as you still have to deal with the daily routine for the first two kids. Tried to sneak in a nap here and there but not much else.

• How do you usually spend your time?

Not much different than usual. Would nap more in the afternoon...but as I have two others the same routine was kept.

• What products and services do they spend most during pregnancy?

Doctor appts. Baby stuff (for first baby only) with this one ni money spent on baby stuff.
    • Is there any changes in your wellness and fitness?

As I only gained 9lbs eith each pregnancy, I have become more fit than before. I eat mire healthier as many foods I avoid, and eat more frequent meals rather than big meals three rimes a day.

• Do you notice any behavior change in you?
    Less patient and have higher expectations from adults around me as I assume they are smarter than the average Joe.

• Pets issue

More adamant that my dog gets her bath and finger nails cut.

• Is there any role change in your social status?
    Yes, now I go by my marries name more...especially in places where money is being spent...schools, doctors clinics etc.

• Family relationship
    No change as we have always been close. With MIL a bit different...my expectations and her time spent with my kids do nit match so a bit of a problem,
    Last edited by lesliefu; 12-03-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I agree with Charade. The things that would have made my pregnancy easier were things that money can't buy.

Your original question was about "products and services". Special pregnancy products are nice luxuries if you have the money, but they're not the main point. I could afford maternity outfits, but regular larger-sized clothes are fine, too. Some spend money on special prenatal yoga classes, but you can also stay fit just by walking through a park or doing yoga at home for free. (That's what I did).

Here are things that would have made my pregnancy / early motherhood easier

* Better manners from people using MTR lifts, etc. Younger people (teens, early 20s) were the worst. I attended a university lecture when I was 7 months pregnant, and not a single person offered his / her seat, even though many of the students were just sleeping anyway!

* More honest private doctors. I got outright lies and fearmongering from doctors trying to "sell" me C-sections, with skewed information on the "pain and dangers" of natural birth. It got to the point that I felt that one had violated medical ethics by trying to make up potential complications that I didn't have. The stress of finding a decent, honest doctor was a huge problem for me those first few months.

* Better information for pregnant mothers to prepare them for breastfeeding, diet, etc. I'm lucky because I am a fluent English speaker, well-educated, and could afford pre-natal classes run by British nurses and midwives -- all private. But I was shocked by the lack of information some of my more Chinese-speaking local friends and relatives had. There are so many (scientifically unproven) superstitions and untruths out there. Most local moms spend 9 months worried and stressed about all sorts of things due to a lack of knowledge.

The biggest help to a pregnant woman is good, relaxed, supportive care from both medical professionals and family.

The expensive products are services are just optional.

baby and mama is offline Registered User
    Hi all great mama,

Thank you all so much so the valuable insight, they are all very helpful for my project.

all the best.

cheers~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12