Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Right of Abode for baby based on Grandparents' Chinese Ethnicity?

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    If you can "prove" that they were Chinese with something like permanent 3 star ID card, return home permit, or some form of identity document that lists race (some countries do that on the birth cert), that should be fine.

In my case, my obviously Chinese husband went for my first daughter WITHOUT any of the proper "proof" and the insisted that our daughter MUST have Chinese nationality as he was ethnically Chinese, even though he was not a Chinese national. With our 2nd daughter, I went with exactly the same documents and they told me (I'm white) that our daughter was NOT eligible for nationality. I said "Why does her sister have nationality then? It's exactly the same documents". They gave our 2nd daughter Chinese nationality ONLY based on her sister having it. If I'd gone for the birth cert for our first daughter, chances are that neither of them would have Chinese nationality. It's a bit ridiculous really...
    Must agree here...my WHOLE family have the HKSAR passport, return home permit...I am the only one without either when my sis went, they were lax (before 1997) now...they are tight (after 1997)....my mom had lost my original birth certificate and had to apply for a new one - that took the canadian government 15-18months....but that time it was post 1997! so go figure!

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Hi the 'return home permit' is a card that allows you to go in and out of china, and is only applicable to hksar passport holders.

It doesn't matter which officer you go to, it is clear that as long as long as you can prove Chinese descent, your child born in Hk is eligible to be a passport holder.

In our case, both my husband and I were not able to prove Chinese descent so we just brought a copy of the grandparents 'home return permit' and my husband's birth certificate and they granted us.

For our second child it was even easier cos my id says race: Chinese, and no question was asked.

Both my kids have Hk passports while my husband and I don't. The kids hold 3 passports now.

yuliana is offline Registered User

I'm Indonesian citizen and come to Hongkong with visitor visa. If I deliver baby in Hongkong, will the baby get the permanent resident? Is there anyone know about this? Thanks.

charade is offline Registered User

If you are of Chinese descent then the rules might be different. If not, the answer is no. Even those of us who are residents of HK, have been living here for 5 - 6 but not yet on permanent residency and deliver here - the baby does not get permanent residency. The baby's visa status follows that of the parents in our case.

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User

Update- we were able to get the Hong Kong passport for our little one! Thanks for all the great responses!

We got the Hong Kong passport, ID card, and a re-entry permit- not sure why, but that's what they said we should get. My Hong Kong ID holding mother-in-law went with my husband to the birth registration (with all her documents) and they put on the form that our baby was "Chinese" so from there I guess it was easy. We were also told we could get a China re-entry card from CTS, but we haven't yet.

FYI- we got one card on the day we registered (in a building near Macau Ferry Terminal- not where the birth registration was). Then we got a receipt to collect the other 2 cards about 1 or 2 weeks later.

This is despite the fact the immigration office told us before our daughter was born, that she would not be able to get a Hong Kong passport, etc based on her grandmother's Hong Kong ID.

hongkong2010 is offline Registered User

Hi Inkmink,
    Could you please drop me a private message and let me know how to get the same document for my expected newborn? My husband and I are foreigh passport holders holding temp HKID. I am ethinic Chinese and Husband is not.

Thanks a lot

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Your baby would get HK passport based on the fact she/he was born here. It is a birth right,,,isn't it? That's why there is so much problem with main,and mommies having children here...my friends helper gave birth here and the baby got the HKSAr passport...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Not all children born in HK are eligible for HKSAR passport, only those who are ethnically (or partly ethnically) Chinese. Expats whose kids are born here are not eligible for HKSAR passport, nor are domestic helpers' kids (unless they can prove that either they or the father have some Chinese blood). Mainlanders, on the other hand, are.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast