Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home tutor for a 3-year-old boy

soon2bmom is offline Registered User

Hi there,*
    My son is currently attending an international kindergarten. Whilst he seems to like his teachers and friends there, it doesn't seem that he's getting enough stimulation. His teacher, whom he adores very much, *keeps on telling me to "put him in a bigger school with lots more learning" because he is so bored with all the "play"! The only time that he comes alive is when they sit down to learn. Whenever she asks them questions, he is the one with all the answers, and he actually tries to help his friends "solve problems". I was of course very surprised to learn all this since initially I was actually thinking of holding him back by one year so he can benefit from the so-called "Matthew Effect" (he was born in Oct).

I would very much love to teach him more stuff myself, however, as I am about to give birth to his little brother in a few weeks time, I am afraid that I will just be too tired to do anything with him for a very long while (mommy is feeling very guilty already). Therefore, I figured that it might be a good idea to get a home tutor to give him the extra learning that he deserves.

So here are my requirements:
    Must speak good English as that's gonna be the teaching medium. I don't mean just any native speaker, but someone with good grammar, enunciation and vocabulary. I don't care about the accent, though. And no specific ethnicity, either.

Has some early childhood teaching experiences. My son is a sensitive boy, and he needs someone who is patient, gentle and caring. A qualified kindergarten teacher will be very welcome.

Can offer something fun, engaging and intellectually stimulating. I am flexible about the lesson content, maybe some phonics, some reading, arts and crafts, Montessori stuff if you know it, music...basically kindergarten curriculum but in a customized fashion. If you speak a second language, I am happy for you to incorporate that into the lessons as well. Details can be discussed later.

I want to start with just one hour per week. If it goes well, we will increase the frequency and duration.*

My boy is the sweet and sensitive type. He may come across as shy and quiet at the beginning, but once he feels comfortable, he will start to crack all sorts of silly jokes. He loves to chat with adults whom he feels comfortable with. If this sounds like a job that you will enjoy, please pm me! Thank you!

okezie is offline Registered User
    What teacher admits that a child in their class is in need of a bigger school with 'lots more learning'?!!? I dont believe it.

soon2bmom is offline Registered User
    Why don't you believe it? That's exactly what she told me.

Btw, to make my job post clearer, I am not looking for an English teacher. I am looking for an early childhood educator who can teach in English. Degrees and experiences are nice but not absolutely necessary. Moms, university students, kindergarten teachers who want extra income (I want to have the class on sat mornings).....are all welcome to apply.

Hoping to hear from more people! Thanks for your time.

I cant offer any tutoring. May have friends interested. Which area are you?

REgarding not believing it - more a case of being shocked that a teacher would admit there is not enough stimulation in their class...admitting they are failing at their job is a bit of a worry. Is the teacher getting help? Are you actually paying for your child to be there?

charade is offline Registered User
    Yes, it might be a rare teacher that points out that the school he/she is teaching in is not the best fit for every child but why is it unbelievable that such a teacher exists or that such a comment is a slight on the school. There was an article in SCMP this weekend on gifted children and how all schools may not be equipped to nurture them and thus parents would need to supplement or shift to a different school. This does not make the school bad just maybe not the best fit for that kid.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I would look for another school which may be a better fit instead of doing extra home tutoring. In the end your child is still only 3 years old ...

EarlyYears is offline Registered User
    Have sent you a pm.

Agree with mummy to 3. A three year old class should be FULL of things to explore, to interact with, to build meaning and really grow. It is definitely a slight on the school. A three year old program needs to cater for children with different learning styles, needs and gifts. Every child in every class has gifts in some areas. A three year old class is a perfect place to nurture these gifts. Your child's teacher said there is too much play for your child? I am wondering if it is just a case of the teachers having a few toys here and there and not actually genuinely interacting and supporting the children to make connections, and to extend their learning. ALL children need that - not just so called "gifted" children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast