Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

14 month year old HATES crib

southside852 is offline Registered User

14 month year old HATES crib

Every since 9 months, we've been having a harder time putting our LO down for naps and bed. He sleeps fine in the car, in the stroller and with us, but since around 11 months, he literally tenses up and starts to cry when he sees us walking towards his crib. He's now 14 months old and it's the same story - he's totally hysterical when he's in the crib. When we take him out, he immediately points the bed and falls right asleep. I used to think it was just being with us, but he does this regardless of us being in the bed or not with him. Has anyone else experienced this?

We've tried sleep training numerous times (ferberizing) and his crying can last up to an hour at which point he usually throws up. We are firm believers of sleep training too as we did with #1, but now I am not sure this is the answer to the problem at hand.

My older son who is now 4, transitioned early to a bed at 20 months old b/c he climbed out of it.....I am thinking this one might even be earlier......

Would love to hear anyone else's thoughts/suggestions?

carang is offline Registered User
    each of my kids were out of cribs by the time they were 14 months (my son was only a year).

how did you transition your kids so early? we want to really avoid buying a toddler bed (#1 went into a twin immediately). I assume you just get all the rails and treat it like a big crib.....

nope, my son didn't even have a guard rail. he fell out of his big bed (no toddler beds for us, he was on the bottom bed of a bunk bed) a couple of times and then he was ok.

my daughter had a guard rail for about a year. then we took it away and nothing. she still occasionally falls out of bed (almost 5 years old), but she also walks and talks in her sleep, so i just chalk it up to that.

how did we do it? no secret, we just did it.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I transitioned my daughter at 18 months and she did fine. Her bed has a rail, but it is only about one inch higher than her mattress!! She has never fallen out, even when she has slept without a rail (when we are travelling etc). I would seriously think about transitioning - and if you don't want a toddler bed, don't get one. It's not a necessity.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I took my daughter out of her crib when she was 15 months old. She discovered how to climb out of it and for us, it was just safer to have her in a bed because if she fell it would be more dangerous head first over the railings of the crib (which she did twice! luckily I was in her room and managed to catch her!) than the bed.

She did fine, except she quickly discovered that she was no longer "restrained" and had free reign of the apartment at all hours of the night! I found her one morning in her brother's room at 3am trying to put his glasses on him while he was asleep! We put a gate at her room door for a few weeks and this did the trick. She has never fallen out of her bed at all.

thanks! yes, think we will start to transition after the holidays.....my 4 year still sleeps in his twin w/2 guard rails that are about an inch taller than the mattress (like Nicole's daughter).We'll just give one to his little brother! Thanks!

LOL! AmyH, my almost 7 year old woke up in the night the other night to use the toilet, when i went to tuck him back into his bed, i found my daughter! she had crawled into bed with him because, as she said, "i had a bad dream, mummy!".... anyway, took her back to bed and she was fine for the rest of the night.
    AmyH likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast