Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

When is losing the pregnancy weight too much...

erina320 is offline Registered User
    FYI. Nursing is an excellent way to shed pregnancy weight. I can't eat enough to keep the weight on and nurse the baby!!

With both of my babies the weight just melted off with me doing little more than nursing, light yoga and going for walks.

carang is offline Registered User
    sadly, that doesn't work for everyone.

when i gave birth to my first, i was only 5 lbs heavier than when i got pregnant... but after nursing for 6+ months, i had gained a further 30lbs! i couldn't stop eating. i was constantly starving. i know i'm not the only one to whom this has happened.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    I just mentioned it because Newmommie had said something about women not BF'ing so they could diet.

Seems to me that if women knew BF'ing could help them lose weight, not to mention all the other benefits for baby and mommy alike it has, then maybe more of them would nurse. I am very pro nursing and always trying to put the benefits of it out there.

carang is offline Registered User
    i think breastfeeding is great, only if it is best for the entire family.

but i must say that after hearing many women say what you did (weight would melt off if i breastfed), i was more than a little disappointed/upset/aggravated that it didn't work that way for me.

every body is different and every body reacts differently to pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding. there is no "one size fits all", unfortunately.
    thanka2 likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by erina320 View Post
    FYI. Nursing is an excellent way to shed pregnancy weight. I can't eat enough to keep the weight on and nurse the baby!!

With both of my babies the weight just melted off with me doing little more than nursing, light yoga and going for walks.
    So wish that was true of me. Totally not true for every woman although some women have success with this. My 8.5-month-old is still nursing between 5-8 times/day and my diet consists of two eggs and a piece of toast or oatmeal; a huge bowl of raw fresh spinach, small piece of cheese grated on top and tomato soup and then a 1/2-cup of brown rice with vegetables and meat. For a snack I usually eat some 2-3 small mandarin oranges or a pear. I work full-time with children where I am moving all day long, I walk about 2 miles/day (to and from my work) and I work out 3 times/week plus play with my 4-year-old (very active) when I get home and breastfeed. Beyond the initial post-partum time losing baby and fluid weight I've lost a total of 5 kilos in almost 9 months. That's it. Not exactly "melting off" for me. This summer for a month straight I worked about 6-7 hours/day teaching small children that was so aerobic that I was soaking a shirt. Disappointingly, I didn't lose a single pound!

So, you ladies who can lose pregnancy weight through nursing, my hat's off to you! That's amazing! :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Quote Originally Posted by erina320 View Post
    I just mentioned it because Newmommie had said something about women not BF'ing so they could diet.

Seems to me that if women knew BF'ing could help them lose weight, not to mention all the other benefits for baby and mommy alike it has, then maybe more of them would nurse. I am very pro nursing and always trying to put the benefits of it out there.
    True that it can work for some women but it's not guaranteed and if your mindset is that you need to work out furiously in order to lose the baby weight then breastfeeding simply takes up too much time, energy and effort to keep up--especially if you struggle with it. Not saying that that's a good mindset to have at all but I'd say that's pretty common. Plus, when you're breastfeeding you're supposed to keep a good diet like when you're pregnant and if you're going to 'crash diet' it's pretty hard to keep breastfeeding-the body can't be tricked so easily, right? Any time I've tried to drop calories out of my diet my body just drops off the breastmilk supply like it's saying, "Uh uh uh, not so fast...."

But, yeah, why not give breastfeeding a go because it does have health benefits for mama and baby--even beyond weight loss.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Quote Originally Posted by NewMommie View Post
    Thanks so much for your comments - especially thanka2 for her personal story.
    You are welcome!

They said also that traditional anorexia is often not about looking good, but about control. I do get the sense from this mom that she feels out of control and that might be fueling the obsession. New baby, new responsibilities, new job as a SAHM after she quit her job, expat living away from home, etc. All I can say is...it's hard to be a woman in today's world.
    Definitely a candidate for an eating disorder with all of those life-stressors and little support network. And yes, eating disorders are usually not about food at all. I can absolutely say that for me it was about controlling the one and only thing I was able to control in my life as a teen and that was my weight. I couldn't control my situation at my school or with my parents at home but I could choose not to eat and see the effects in my body. There are a lot of nasty things that can go along with this compulsion--including self-harm because it is also another way to "act out" what you are feeling but can't express. You are doing something so special for your friend by being there for her--she really needs that right now.

Mother of Two

mllau is offline Registered User
    I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight 3 months after giving birth by running. Some people lose weight easily, some people don't. I have accepted the fact that I will always have the belly and it will take a lot of work and discipline to get flat abs again. All that matters is I don't get sick and I eat. Try to tell your friend that you support her desire to lose weight, but gently tell her that being healthy and eating healthy is very important for a parent who has young kids depending on us. Tell her your concerns and your experience about someone who took weight loss to the extreme and tell that you care and that she is beautiful no matter what. If she listens good on her, if not then you've done your best as a concerned friend. We can't really tell do this or do that instead as some people don't take that well. Just expressed your support & care. Also maybe whisper to her that we have to realize that celebrities achieve those great bodies post-pregnancy because they have all the money and help they could get and it's their job to look good that's how they make money. It would be unrealistic to compare ourselves to them as our lifestyles are very different.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast