Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Will you let your babies/children to play iPad?

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User
    My 22 mo luvs my ifone Actually technically it was his, mine in name DH got it to 'keep him
    in pl' at times We let him watch educational videos mostly(i mus say they r excellent stuff!)and it's a great bb-sitter at meal times esply wen we r out & just wish to have a proper meal & conversation Plus wen I nid 2 do som time-consuming chores knowing he's learning stuff w it & not climbing up d chairs or table! We do limit his use & kp a balance with his playground, toys, learning time etc DH has been tokg abt getting him an iPad so dat I can have my ifone fully

alfa is offline Registered User
    I use it for long haul flights as at least I can pre select the content- my little one isobsessed with Bob the Builder and Peppa and this way i know i can kep her occupied. I also love the Toca Oca doctor and Paint My wings. Its more for special occasions. i am way too protective over my i phone tho:)Id say all in moderation and the right time- we still read ooks and o other things but lets face it 14 hours on a plane is a nightmare without one;)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    We don't own an iPad and my smartphone has only the factory-installed simple apps and isn't internet-enabled. First of all, we can't afford to buy an iPad so we won't be buying one until we can--if ever. If we had an iPad, I would take the same stance with it that I took with computer usage and my son. No computer usage at all or exposure before 2-years-old because "screen time" is not recommended for children younger than two. After that I let my son play some educational games or watch videos at sites like the Sesame Street site. Recently, my son has averaged about 30 minutes of computer time every two weeks. About two weeks ago one night I was feeling ill and needed a break so I let him watch a few episodes of Word World. That's it. My son is far too busy doing everything else he does to plop down in front of a screen every day. I know that iPads and iPhones are more interactive but they're still virtual and at this stage in his development I think it's best for him to be living in the "real world." If we had an iPad he might get to play a game on it for 15 minutes/day max--that would be my limit.

I think this video is poignant.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    No problem with children using iPad, they're fun and can even be educational. Getting to grips with technology is a key life skill these days and will likely become even more so. As long as physical, mental and social skills are not neglected I see no reason to ban the use of iPad - it's far more interactive than TV.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    I think this video is poignant.
    I see nothing sad about that video at all - what is really sad is the comments within that video.

An electronic device (smartphones, pads, computers) are just tools and if used appropriately can give kids great amount of education and amusement at the same time.

As for "screen time", a healthy approach is always better than outright bans and blanket statements.
    http://www.geekmom.com/2011/10/what-...t-screen-time/
    lesliefu likes this.

charade is offline Registered User
    Howardcoombs, thank you for that link. When the association of pediatricians says 'some concerns' of harm, I've always wondered what harm exactly. Now it seems, they themselves are generally vague on what the harm actually is. Their main concern seems to be that it does not have any positive benefit. As a parent, I'm ok with there being no positive benefit, what I'm not ok with is serious harm.

I let my son have "screen time" not because I think it's educational but because sometimes I just need a break from him and can't think of anything else and I don't think it will do serious harm. Yep, I'm a lazy parent. I'm in awe of parents who manage no screen time at all for their kids. However, I think as long as my kid is not spending huge amounts of time staring agape at a screen, his brain cells will be fine and so will my sanity.
    shwetakhanna likes this.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    You're not a lazy parent at all, you're a perfectly normal parent.
    As for positive benefit : there is a great positive benefit and that is a sane and happy and less stressed parent :-)

My mother always taught me : Everything in moderation and everything in reasonable amounts

carang is offline Registered User
    i would not ban my children from screen time... i just know, we have tried letting my two have computer time, that it gets out of hand WAY too easily. so, for that reason, we don't have a nintendo, PS3 or anything else like that...i figure they will get enough of that as they get older. same as the "no toy guns" rule that i have. i'm sure as they get older, they will be exposed to them, so why do it now?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast