Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree7Likes

Will you let your babies/children to play iPad?

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Your definition of moderation does not match the accepted definitions.
    You are certainly not alone in your views but to call it moderation is a fallacy. You've chosen to ban something for a period of time and once that time has passed you will relax your rules.
    So, who is writing these "accepted definitions." Your comment actually made me laugh a little because I imagined a computer with an error message when I read it.
    Feel free to pick up any common dictionary or a computer to visit an online dictionary. The accepted definitions can be easily found within.

We are in agreement on the first part, however as soon as you put that "2 years old" in there which is an arbitrary and baseless number we diverge.
    To you, it may be "arbitrary" but that's the label you put on it. You do not know my child and his development.
    I know that your child as well as all children in this world do not magically change at the age of 2.

I think decent parents everywhere try to instill good habits in their children's lives. You have chosen a time based strict approach.
    I agree with your first sentence. You have again labeled my approach as "strict" because it differs from your approach and is less "mainstream." That is your label. You really like to label and it seems like you pick me out to do so. It's easy to "label and dismiss" I think. Easy way to not have to really consider other people's views. Let's be fair...take a turn with another poster...they're probably feeling left out.
    I labelled your approach as strict because it is. Again a dictionary would help you here.
    Actually, your approach *is* mainstream; the world is full of parents like you. I just happen to disagree with that particular approach.
    I pick you out because you come up with some really doozie comments from time to time that get me passionate enough to disagree with in public.

And, the methods we use to raise our children are working really well for us. We are not at all harsh with our children and it's really a great system for us and for them. Our children are content, not over-stimulated, rested and our home is a tranquil place. This is the way we choose to do things. It is the way we prefer to do things and we don't find it to be a burden at all. If I do need input on the other way to do things, I will certainly remember to ask you.
    Thats good to hear. Happy kids, happy families and all that.

Anyway, thanks for the chat. I think for me this conversation has run its course. There isn't anything more I can possibly say that will be of any more use here. Have a great weekend.
    Likewise

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Likewise
    Why, yes I do. Do you? Ha ha ha ha! Fortunately, I don't live my life "by the dictionary" (thank God!). Wouldn't that be funny, "Okay, I'd better look at Webster's and make sure I'm thinking/acting/doing what the books says I should." No, I much more prefer to think for myself and make decisions for my children that way. A lot less confining that way. Not watching TV and letting your child play with an iPad is mainstream? Wow! The mainstream has changed a lot! Thanks for the update! Okay, enough of that. I'll just shake my head and walk away.
    Last edited by thanka2; 12-09-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Fortunately, I don't live my life "by the dictionary"
    If you use it a bit more often, you will choose more appropriate words.

"Okay, I'd better look at Webster's and make sure I'm thinking/acting/doing what the books says I should."
    Alas, Websters doesnt show that but it does will tell you what moderate and arbitrary mean.

No, I much more prefer to think for myself and make decisions for my children that way. A lot less confining that way.
    Thats good because I'm not aware of any dictionary that can help you with your kids decision making. Help with your vocabulary, yes - kids, dont think so.

Not watching TV and letting your child play with an iPad is mainstream? Wow! The mainstream has changed a lot!
    No actually, mainstream hasn't changed that much. Setting arbitrary rules like "before age X is not allowed, after is OK" has been used by parents for generations. You happen to call this "moderation" which I find humorous.

Thanks for the update! Okay, enough of that. I'll just shake my head and walk away.

carang is offline Registered User
    ding ding ding.... opponents, to your corners... end of round 1309878....

;)

(i'm just glad it's not me discussing/arguing this time round! mark the day on your calendar... today, Cara did NOT argue with anyone online...)

Margaret09 is offline Registered User
    As a side thought.... Is it possible to set up a poll to ascertain if there are differing/similar/opposing reports coming from working and stay at home parents? I'm not sure how to do it, thanks

Louiseamanda is offline Registered User
    Old thread, but relevant issue. I think tv is not recommended for under 2y olds as it is supposed to inhibit language development, acquisition of new words.
    For iPads, I have seen screaming toddlers as mummy abruptly takes away the ipad as the plane is coming to land, having been happy to issue it, as soon as the flight started.
    I would not recommend it for preschoolers, myself. There is more than enough time for computer skills to be developed during childhood.
    Its for the parents benefit, I think, not the child.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345