Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Will you let your babies/children to play iPad?

hkcareplus is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

Will you let your babies/children to play iPad?

iPad seems to have some good apps for babies to learn and my sister's son (around 2 year old) love to play it so much (seem to have a bit addict to it). But I just curious it's a good time for them to play? do any parents do the same or have any suggestion on it?

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    my kids 5 & 7 don't play on the computer much. we do occasionally allow them to, but it is VERY limited. and no, we don't have an ipad. mummy and daddy can't afford to play on one, even if we did have one, my kids would NOT get their hands on it.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    " iPad seems to have good apps for babies to learn"

I wouldn't let my baby go near an iPad. Perhaps to look at photos & videos that we took but certainly not an app for her to learn.

I wouldn't even let my 4 year old play with the iPad. Even with my iPhone, I don't play games on it so my daughter doesn't even know any games.

Call me old school but I'd prefer my child to run around in a playground and interact with other kids rather than sit down playing on an iPad. Other parents may think otherwise.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    I let my kids play. My 16 month old isn't very interested, but my 3 year old really likes it. They don't play every day - maybe just one or two times a week, and never more than for about 30 min or so... We have a lot of educational games and I think it's been a positive thing for them. It's a good distraction in some situations (like if we have a family dinner which is out and takes a long time and is past their bedtime), and is great for things like planes etc when they can't run around. I think as long as it's in moderation, it can be a good thing. But I can see how it could easily get out of control as well.

All that said, I have a smartphone and I have determined NOT to put ANY kids apps on it, because I know that if I did, and if my kids knew that they could play on it, they would ALWAYS want it and it would probably end up being a negative thing. My phone is JUST for me.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    South District
    We have an iPad and let our daughter (3yrs old) play on it, 15mins every other day...or something like that. it's not a must, but I must say some of the apps ARE quite educational and when you just want 15 mins of quiet time, it's pretty good. You have to be pretty selective though, some apps are better than others and as a parent you really have to pick and choose carefully. For some of the apps it givves me some nice quality time with my daughter as I can use it to teach /review things in a different way so it can be quiet stimuating, if used under guidance and not abused.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    I have no problem at all letting my boys play on the iPad. Even the 17 month old. I prefer it to watching tv. There are some great apps for kids and my youngest especially likes looking thru the photos and videos.
    Having said that we are lucky enough to have a trampoline and lots of outdoor space for them to ride trikes and bikes and play. They have a nice balance.

anotherone is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Speaking of which, I came across this when browsing through one of my "usual sites" the other day:

"Goodnight remotes
    And Netflix streams,
    Androids, apps,
    And glowing screens.

Goodnight plugs
    And power lights
    That guide us to pee
    In the darkness of night"

And here's the video:

Well it made ME chuckle anyway....
    carang and rebekah like this.

Biggie is offline Registered User
    Hong kong island
    My now almost 3yr old has been playing with (MY) iphone since about 1 yr old. Now he also sometimes use Daddy's ipad. It's like a daddy-son time before dinner. He also use the computer regularly. I believe he learned a lot of words, math, even science from iphone (he was searching for how gears works, loves the video explaining how thomas the steam engine works versus diesel engines etc).
    My 1yr old hasn't been that interested. He just wanted to touch it for a couple minutes then he's onto other things. So I guess even if you let them, not every kid likes it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast