Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

breastfeeding in in public in HK

msd
    msd is offline Registered User

breastfeeding in in public in HK

Hi there

I'm going to be in HK for CNY 2012 with my DD (who'll be 7 months). She'll be on solids by then but breast milk will still be her main source of food. I would appreciate you sharing your breastfeeding experiences in public in HK. Were there any difference in reactions depending where you were i.e in Central, TST, NT or were there none at all?

The law in the UK states that you cannot be asked to leave an establishment for breastfeeding in public. What is it like in HK?

I would rather not express milk as I don't see the point because she's with me and the milk is fresh and just the right temperature when she takes it from the breast. Thanks in advance.

carang is offline Registered User
    i suggest you do a search on here as it is a commonly asked question.

personally, i breastfed both of my kids in public (sometimes sitting on a bench in a mall or on the mtr!).... no one batted an eye. i didn't use a breastfeeding cover and i was very discrete. it was never a problem for me, but i have heard stories from others that it wasn't so easy for them.

good luck! and welcome to hk!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I've breastfed my daughter all over HK--HK Island, New Territories, Kowloon, Islands....I cover with a nursing shawl (Bebe Au Lait) and there haven't been any strong reactions to me. I think people look at me because they are surprised to see me breastfeed on the MTR but it's not a look of disgust or offense or anything--they just kind of are curious but after a few minutes they just go back to whatever they were doing. I've breastfed in very local establishments (cha chan tengs) and no one even bats an eye. I've breastfed in more "western places" and again, no one seems to care. I don't know if it would be different if I didn't cover with a shawl. I have a few friends who don't cover with a shawl or blanket in public but I didn't really notice any unusual attention being given to them either. The only place I've ever been told not to breastfeed was in a public hospital waiting room in HK but that was like by one of the custodial cleaners so I'm not sure how much clout she actually had and I just did what I was going to do anyway.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User
    I breastfeed my toddler w a sling everywhere we go including mtr and restaurants, cafes etc Some locals just look, look and look, some awhile some continued but they just look, that's all

miran is offline Registered User
    same here... breastfed everywhere on demand. not a problem.

genkimom is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ureshii3 View Post
    I breastfeed my toddler w a sling everywhere we go including mtr and restaurants, cafes etc Some locals just look, look and look, some awhile some continued but they just look, that's all
    I think it's the sling more than the BFing they are staring at, Ureshii3. Even if I'm not breastfeeding I get lots of stares walking down the street with a baby sling. I've been "informed" that i will either drop my baby, strangle my baby, or break her neck by carrying her in a sling. Also, I think they are shocked I'm doing the mothering, not some Indonesian girl.

HK folks are not big on breastfeeding, but they don't seem to mind much if others do it.

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User
    Interesting experience u've got genkimom Tq for sharing how some people think abt d sling
    I didn't get such stares/comments with my boy in d sling but wen we started bf-g some people started looking I guez bf is not something common for them to do but they don't really mind it

bonita is offline Registered User
    I've had a friend who wanted to see my "sleeping baby" in the sling just to find out she was nursing. My friend was a bit embarrassed and quickly looked away. Most people don't realize a sling can be a nursing "cover," too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast