Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Absence in winter

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User

Absence in winter

First winter here and going on holiday for a couple of weeks Would like to know how to ensure home, furniture & stuff in same good condition upon return and we don't wish to be greeted by unexpected occurences caused by the cold weather We've got dehumifiers for wardrobes,cabinets,storage boxes and all over the house and not sure if this is appropriate to do or if there's more that we should do Any tips to share? Tq v much:)

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Just remember to turn off the main water pipe and electricity...the people above us left for three weeks and didn't do either and came back to a flooded apartment...they literally had to roll up their pants and scope out 10 garbage pail sized buckets of water...and that was just from one of the rooms alone. Poor u has to redo the who excelling cause the damage the flooding it caused us!

banane76 is offline Registered User

You need to do this even in apartment buildings?

carang is offline Registered User

in all my years here, i've left many,many, many times for 3+ weeks. i've never shut off the electricity or the water.

if you shut off the electricity, how are the dehumidifiers going to help? (i've never used dehumidifiers myself, we use the boxes)

Portia is offline Registered User

We just make sure the TV is switched off at the mains. We don't bother with the dehumidifiers in December as it seems pretty dry at the moment (under 40 percent today).
    Posted via Mobile Device

pixelelf is offline Registered User

same here. we just make sure tv/computer/ water thermal switch is off.

if the main electrical switch is off, better make sure the refrigerator is cleared out. u dun wanna come home to a maggoty stinky home :S

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

I don't bother to turn anything off in the winter. When we leave in the summer I hook up the dehumidifier to the shower tray and leave it running on a timer to help keep the humidity down.

Other than that, no need to do anything, you can turn off electrical appliances if you like but do you do that over night? If not, would you rather your TV/computer set the apartment on fire when you're sleeping or when you're on holiday? Modern apartments should have circuit breakers even in the unlikely event your something malfunctions and sets itself on fire.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

well you guys are lucky! dripping from the helpers bathroom overspilled cause the helpers toilet was damaged (dont know exact details)...only know that the water flooded the entire apartment and their sofas molded..worst thing was that we had to redo the ceiling of our apartment (we just moved in 3 mths ago and just finished renovation works) because the flooding caused leakage that affected the ceiling in our apartment! lucky for them they had insurance which covered our repair work plus accomodation fees (we were NOT about to stay in the apartment when the whole apartment would smell of paint with kids all under 3)...the bill came to 10K...5600 for repair and 2nights at the nearby hotel - wasn't moving into somewhere cheaper far away as its be inconvenient for us to come back to get things and for us to send the kids to school....

i know it is a 1 in a million chance this will happen...perhaps we should go buy a lottery ticket...but if not for the sake of others, for your own sake in the case anything should happen. one never knows really....but that's just my experience - SO annoying really...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast