Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

11 month old keeps standing & doesn't sleep

mrs
    mrs is offline Registered User

11 month old keeps standing & doesn't sleep

my 11 mth old has always been an excellent sleeper until 2 weeks ago when he learned to stand up in his crib wearing a sleeping sack. Now every time I put him down to sleep he gets right up and screams and cries to no end. Is this common & a phase that will eventually pass? What approach did you use that was effective in getting your baby to sleep on his/her own again?

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Two questions I would ask...1) is your baby tired and only wants you to hold him to sleep 2) how long does he cry for? My second did that, but we discovered that if we left her to cry then she would eventually sit bck down and sleep ( of she were tired that night).... If not shed sit down and then stand back up when he was re-energized. Even with the standing stage she still slept on her own BUT we relaxed the bed time to whenever she showed signs if tiredness....which sometimes could be a whole hour fromhwr "normal bedtime" of 7:30.... Eventually we got hr to sleep back at 7:30.... Took a whole month though...but our theory wa s that she has no school so she can sleep for as long as she wants in the morning...

charade is offline Registered User

My son also did this when he learnt to stand up in the crib. Actually, he still does this. He takes a good 1/2 hour to settle down during which he keeps getting up and walking around his crib. We have never left him alone in the room to fall asleep so tend to just stay there humming but not removing him from the crib and occasionally patting him and also patting his pillow (sometimes it's funny - he pats the pillow back). Eventually, he falls asleep.

carang is offline Registered User

same thing happened with each of my kids.

mrs

I have let him cry for about 20 minutes before going into his room. He is usually very tired because if I hold him he falls asleep within a few moments. we have never rocked or held him to sleep so he is not used to that in the past. I guess I should try letting him cry for longer to see if he will settle himself, it's just that when I leave him to cry he gets extremely worked up. Carang, what did you do when each of your kids went through this stage?

carang is offline Registered User

hmmm... it lasted a LONG time.... our problem was that i would be bound and determined to let the child cry, but then hubby would go in behind my back... once i would get hubby to follow my instructions, then helper would go in....

i would say, yes, let him cry a little longer.... good luck though, it is TOUGH listening to your little one cry!

mrs

Thanks for all your replies. Very helpful!

Gemma is offline Registered User

Mine did as well when he learnt to stand, just wouldn't go to sleep ( he is usually v good at sleeping by himself). That phase lasted about a month or so when he realized nobody was coming even if he cried. He is now almost 18 months and still has the occasional off night when he'd just refuse to go to sleep. One thing I find v hard is letting him cry it out now as he has learnt to bawl and scream until he vomits!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast