Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Woman fell while cleaning window

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

Woman fell while cleaning window

A few weeks back, a woman fell to her death while cleaning her window at our block of apartments. She fell through the glass awning & landed on the walk way. It was a tragic death.

After her body was taken, management promptly swept the glass & hosed down the pavement. Now it's as if nothing happened. I would imagine close to a hundred residents would pass by the busy area where she fell but I am saddened that there was no acknowledgement of the tragedy. If that happened in Australia, there would be flowers at the site. It saddens me that someone's daughter/sister/friend died tragically there & it's as if nothing happened. Is it disrespectful to the locals to leave flowers at the site? I certainly do not want to offend anyone. Just wondering how locals deal with such a tragedy.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Usually families and relatives would burn incenses and other stuffs on the site (if allowed). Few weeks ago, some guy jumped down from his apartment (in front of our buildings) and landed on the street. Then they (probably his family) placed some metal bin (for burning stuffs) and fruits on the site. Locals usually don't place flowers on the site.
    Last edited by Gataloca; 12-16-2011 at 10:28 AM.

elle is offline Registered User
    How tragic. Was the woman a domestic helper? That may explain the lack of acknowledgement, plus the fact that management likely does not want to draw attention to the death. Will say a prayer for her family.

When we lived at Parkview there were these weird vigils held (incense burning and such) in two spots occasionaly, where former tenants had jumped many years ago (before we lived there).

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Thanks Gataloca & Elle. The woman was a local. I was told by neighbours that in general, property management would normally keep mum about tragedies as rental prices for that building normally goes down. A bit callous if you ask me.

Since they pretty much kept it hush, rumours have been rife on the circumstances surrounding the accident. I personally think that given the circumstances, even a small obituary in the newsletter would lend some dignity to the tragedy. But people/cultures deal with these things in different ways.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Yeah. But Chinese don't like talking about bad things, specially when the death is not natural, and the dead was young.

sparkeye is offline Registered User
    Hi local here just care about $

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeye View Post
    Hi local here just care about $
    A bit harsh I'd say...but of course everyone is entited to their opinion...

Gatalocz is right. She probably didn't have family in HK or else they would have burnt incense the day following her death...only on that day though, they never do it afterwards cause it's deemed too late. The $ issue boils down to the Cantonesee people being superstitious, they feel it is bad luck and the place will haves a bad omen to it that is why the price will be lower for places where people have jumped from. In fact all suicidies are booked and before you buy a piece of property the real estate agent will help you check if anything "bad" happened.