Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

2nd day back at work - PUMPING BM

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Thanka -- your schedule's crazy! So you're basically either feeding or pumping every other hour. There's no way I will be able to do that with my work situation.

Pumping at my desk is not going to work, unfortuantely -- it's a male-dominated office, open plan, super quiet.
    I may just do 3 or 4 shorter sessions during what would be normal bathroom / coffee / sandwich breaks. If I do it in the toilet, nobody has to know.

In retrospect, I'm so glad I took more time off for maternity.
    At least I know my baby will get 5+ months of exclusive breastfeeding -- which is close to WHO recommended half year. I figure that's pretty good -- and then I will probably move to mixed feeding the months I return to work.
    If I can do 1-2 feedings in the morning and 1 at night, and pump a little in between -- she should still be getting the majority of her milk from me. Plus, I will BF on my days off and weekends.
    I'll be exhausted, but I think that will work. Wish me luck!

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    One useful concept to remember when returning to work is that of the magic number.

Count the number of times you feed the baby in a day (24 hours) before you return to work and then make sure the number of feeding plus the number of pumpings is the same after you return.

e.g. Say you are feeding the baby seven times a day before returning to work – then seven is your magic number. If you can manage three pumpings a day while at work, then you need to feed the baby directly four times a day to keep the magic number. If one day you are really busy at work and only manage to pump twice then you need to fit five direct feedings in while at home.

There is a good article which explains this better than me at http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...ursing-mothers
    (about half way down the page)

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    www.lotuslactation.com
    thanka2 likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    Thanka -- your schedule's crazy! So you're basically either feeding or pumping every other hour. There's no way I will be able to do that with my work situation.
    No...that was my schedule BEFORE I went back to work when I was building up my breastmilk supply by pumping and also freezing breastmilk in the freezer. Aren't you still preparing to go back to work? I had trouble with low milk supply at points so I had to really work hard to get that milk to flow in copious amounts. :)

This was my schedule when I was at work.

Early Morning: One feeding before getting out of bed (both sides)--about 30 minutes because we're still in bed
    (Before Work: Pump for mid-afternoon feeding *always pumping with a good-quality double electric pump--always pumping both sides* if I know I won't have time to pump in the mid-afternoon: 10-15 minutes)
    Mid-Morning: Pump for mid-morning feeding: 10-15 minutes
    Lunchtime: Breastfeed. Takes about 10 minutes. Feed for 5 on one side, eat, then finish up for 5 on the other--still do this.
    (Mid-Afternoon: Pump for the mid-afternoon feeding if I have time...otherwise I switch and pump before work to cover this: 10-15 minutes)
    After Work: Usually home by 5:30 pm--breastfeed as soon as I get home. Usually a combined 2-3 feedings at night--each no more than 15 minutes.
    Sleeptime: We co-sleep so daughter may be breasetfeeding off/on during the night but not a big deal as I don't have to really wake up much for this.

The most I ever pumped at work was twice/day--sometimes only once if I was instead pumping at home before I left for work. If I had not been able to breastfeed my daughter directly (which is really quick and efficient compared with using a pump) at lunchtime, I would have had to add one more pumping. So, it's likely my pumping at work would have been still only twice/day and I would have just had to pump a third time before work as usual.

But, once my daughter was to six months-old, she started on a bit of solids which meant that I didn't have that pressure to pump so much. I stopped pumping breastmilk when she wasn't quite 8-months-old--because as long as she could have a long feed before we got out of bed in the morning and a lunchtime breastfeed, she could eat a mid-afternoon snack of solids. We didn't give her a mid-morning snack (although she'd have a bit of fruit and cereal with breastmilk for breakfast) because I wanted her to be hungry enough to really have a full feeding when she arrived to nurse at lunchtime.

If I had been unable to feed her at lunchtime I probably would have kept with pumping twice--once before work and once at lunchtime--just to keep my breastmilk supply going. It really helps me that sometimes my daughter feeds through the night--like she'll latch on and a few hours later I'll wake up and she's still nursing--this helps my breastmilk supply.

I think you'll have it a lot easier than new moms who have to go back when their babies are 8-weeks-old (like mine was) because 1) you have an established milk supply and have worked out some of the early breastfeeding issues (I assume) 2) your daughter is almost ready to start solids if that's what you want to do so if she gets a bit hungry there will be other options to see her through until she can get to the milk sometimes. Pumping before work actually was pretty convenient for me and the milk was a lot more plentiful and fast-flowing int he mornings. Adding another pumping session in at night for 10-15 minutes while you're watching TV or something can also help. Then at some point you'll probably only need to pump 1-2 times at your work. I think you'll be able to figure out a way to do it if it's really important to you. Just remember if you start mixed feedings that can affect milk supply which will work against you if you can neither pump or feed as much as you'd like to. But, at 5-months-old (will your child be 6-months-old when you go back?) it will be less of an issue. Good luck!
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Sarah -- My "magic number" is 6. She feeds 6 times a day now.
    I can feed her twice in the morning and once late at night -- so that's 3.
    But there's no way I can pump 3 times a day in the office.
    So maybe I move to 70% or 80% BFing. As she will be almost 6 months at that point, I don't feel so bad about it.

Thanka -- You're right. The very reason I took so much time off was because I knew that my work would require long, late and inflexible hours -- mid-day breastfeeding would be impossible.
    And you're also right that there was NO WAY I could have done it when my daughter was a newborn, especially as she was a very slow, difficult feeder, and I had milk supply problems in the beginning. The first 6 weeks, I felt like all I did was breastfeed. There was no time for anything else.
    She's 4 months now, so feeding is well established.
    She'll be 5.5 months when I return to work.
    Thanks for your tips!

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    When you start work remember to treat your breasts the same way as you treat your bladder. If they get full, excuse yourself and go and empty them. If you don’t then you are asking for trouble with infections.

If you don’t have time for regular pumping you might find that hand expressing is easier and it can be done with a few minutes here and a few minutes there – you don’t need to escape from work for 20 to 30 minutes but just four or five minutes. Many mothers find that slipping away for a few minutes more often actually helps keep their milk supply better than longer but fewer sessions.

But the most important is that you never let yourself feel in pain because you are too full. That way leads to infection, illness and missing more work because you need to rest to get better.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    www.lotuslactation.com

evgreen is offline Registered User
    UPDATE: It's been a little over 2 weeks now since returning to work and I've seen a dip in my pumping output already. I went from pumping 5oz during my mid-morning pump to 3oz today:/ I've been drinking plenty of fluids, taking calcium/magnesium supplements, fenugreek, oatmeal, mother's milk tea and adding an extra pumping session in the evening to keep up with my baby. Nothing really seems to be helping to get my output back up to where I was two weeks ago. I hope the dip is only temporary and I wonder if my cycle might be returning soon!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123