Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How much for christmas bonus?

chuckles is offline Registered User

Red face How much for christmas bonus?

Hi,
    Its our first year with a helper and i would love some suggestions as to how much i should give as a christmas gift/bonus.. was going to get a small gift too so she has something to unwrap on the day but I have no idea regarding the amount of cash i should give.. any suggestions would be great thanks....

carang is offline Registered User
    it's a gift. it depends on what you can afford. i know people who give one month. i know others, myself included, who give far less.

our helper (been with us for 6 months) will get an extra $750 tomorrow as she is getting a 3 week holiday to PH over the holidays.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    We haven't figured out how much of a bonus we're giving but seeing that Christmas & Chinese New Year are 4 weeks apart, we thought we'd weigh both occasions.

We do know that Christmas is more special to our helper as she is a Catholic & she's sending presents to her family so she will receive a bigger bonus next week than she would for Chinese New Year.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    for us - the biggest gift was getting her salary 3 weeks early (we normally pay her at the end of the month) so she could buy and send gifts home to her family. on christmas day i will probably give her a token gift but put the real emphasis (big laisee) during the CNY as that is more important for us.

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    We give one month's salary. When she goes home we also usually pay her one month in advance so she can buy extra gifts.

In the US, where we had Chinese helpers, we paid them on Chinese New Year or split between the two, but here we do it on Christmas.

matemate is offline Registered User
    we give her nothing for christmas in monetary terms. just a handwritten card saying thanks, a calendar with her and our baby as the picture and some tea

CNY she gets a red packet

Workingmom1975 is offline Registered User
    We give her one month's salary for CNY and nice gifts for her birthday. Nothing for Xmas....

carang is offline Registered User
    one of our helpers left tonight for a 3 week holiday at home. we gave her 1/2 of her december salary (she usually gets paid at the end of the month) early and $800 (for her birthday and xmas: birthday dec 1)