Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Alternative to Cord Blood Banking

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Sorry, charade, I misunderstood what you were saying, I think. Yes, it may be impossible to get cord blood out after waiting so long but I think the benefits of letting your baby get as much blood as possible from the cord and placenta outweighs that possibility. Sorry for the confusion. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Quote Originally Posted by charade View Post
    From what I understood, in the article you linked to, the focus was on collected cord blood and the midwife's assertion was that to get enough cord blood one must cut the cord immediately (which is the reason she does not recommend cord blood collection anymore). However, another midwife in the comments pointed out that one can wait at least until the cord has stopped pulsing to cut and still get enough cord blood with some effort. So it may be possible to have both - a delayed cutting of cord (though not as delayed as waiting for the placenta to separate naturally) as well as cord blood collection.

Now, whether there are any merits to collecting cord blood itself is another issue.
    My husband and I actually researched this in-depth when we were preparing for my daughter's birth. There is a lecture we watched on the topic and we looked at the research and the data displayed in charts shows that the baby gets the most benefit from an uncut cord within the first three minutes--after that it drops off significantly so if you want to do both, waiting about three minutes will give you a lot of the benefits and if you want to collect cord blood samples you can still go ahead and do that. My computer has completely crashed since I collected that data and all the info. is on another external hard-drive, otherwise I would link the video and the PDF right here. There has actually been research that has gone into this. Shame that HK docs don't have a clue.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Koan is offline Registered User
    I gave birth in a public hospital here in September. I asked for delayed cord clamping. They did not cut the cord. After about five minutes the midwife showed me the cord, it was white and had stopped pulsating. My husband then cut it.

eta. The midwives we had at my most recent birth were wonderful. They followed our preferences in the birth plan and we had a great experience.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile
    Last edited by Koan; 12-31-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koan View Post
    I gave birth in a public hospital here in September. I asked for delayed cord clamping. They did not cut the cord. After about five minutes the midwife showed me the cord, it was white and had stopped pulsating. My husband then cut it.

eta. The midwives we had at my most recent birth were wonderful. They followed our preferences in the birth plan and we had a great experience.

That's great to hear. Not the case in my public hospital birth. Just luck of the draw.

Mother of Two

charade is offline Registered User
    Koan, which public hospital was this? Good to know they are supportive of parents' requests during the birth.

Koan is offline Registered User
    Prince of Wales. Other than eating during labour they did everything I asked. Luckily I was only in labour a few hours so that didn't matter too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Koan View Post
    Prince of Wales. Other than eating during labour they did everything I asked. Luckily I was only in labour a few hours so that didn't matter too much!

I think that length of labor also has a significant role in one's treatment in labor. If you enter the hospital nearly ready to push there isn't time for them to tamper with you as much--this is a huge advantage. This is also one of the reasons why doulas are hired in HK to help women stay at home longer in a bid to have a lesser chance of being pressured for interventions in the hospital. But, it is remarkable that they delayed cord clamping because when we explained our wishes in our birth plan to the staff on duty at the public hospital when I was in labor they thought we were nuts to request something like that and asked for a defense of our wishes--which they didn't get because....well...it was already explained in the birth plan and I was in active labor with my husband helping me so we didn't have time to have a debate with them. In the end, they ignored our wishes and did what they wanted.

That's the thing with the public hospital....just total luck of the draw...no standard procedure across the board and greatly depends on which facility you're at, what time you're there and who is on shift at that time and what their attitude happens to be. Lucky Koan...they even let the father cut the cord! Simply remarkable! Yay for those midwives--hope you took names and sent a thank you card ;)
    Last edited by thanka2; 01-01-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Mother of Two

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12