Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alternative to Cord Blood Banking

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Alternative to Cord Blood Banking

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User
    Thanks for sharing... am curious to know if the doctors / midwives here would delay cord clamping if it is there in the birth plan, or will they continue as usual......

Quote Originally Posted by shwetakhanna View Post
    Thanks for sharing... am curious to know if the doctors / midwives here would delay cord clamping if it is there in the birth plan, or will they continue as usual......

Well, we had delayed cord clamping in our birth plan and it was discussed with the doctors and they just went on and cut the cord even though we were telling them at the time to wait. That's our experience. I think your best chances of delayed cord clamping come with home birth or at least a birthing center--neither exist in Hong Kong.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    I've heard so many stories about birth plans in Hong Kong I wonder what is the %age of doctors who actually follow them.

For our first birth we had one of the top 5 (famous/infamous) doctors in Hong Kong : Sally Ferguson.
    (We never used her again and would never recommend her for too many reasons, but plenty are happy with her that she is still in top 5)

We dutifully made a plan, discussed it with her and made sure she knew our wishes along with the fact that I would want to cut the cord when the time came.
    Time came, she looked and snipped and moved on. When we called her on this, her response was "she forgot".

With all the doctors not following previously discussed plans makes me wonder what the point of these plans are and how many doctors really pay any attention to them.

Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    I've heard so many stories about birth plans in Hong Kong I wonder what is the %age of doctors who actually follow them.

For our first birth we had one of the top 5 (famous/infamous) doctors in Hong Kong : Sally Ferguson.
    (We never used her again and would never recommend her for too many reasons, but plenty are happy with her that she is still in top 5)

We dutifully made a plan, discussed it with her and made sure she knew our wishes along with the fact that I would want to cut the cord when the time came.
    Time came, she looked and snipped and moved on. When we called her on this, her response was "she forgot".

With all the doctors not following previously discussed plans makes me wonder what the point of these plans are and how many doctors really pay any attention to them.
    We didn't have a private doctor--just gave birth in the public hospital but they followed the other parts of our birth plan. I think with the delayed cord clamping/cutting the nurses and doctors here have no idea about this practice and they are so used to just "following protocol." Actually, with us they played the "the baby is in danger" card which was actually totally a lie because our daughter was pink, crying loudly and completely fine. They just didn't know how to really cope because I had an "unorthodox" (by their standards) labor and birth and my daughter was born when I was in a standing position (which was a wonderful experience and if anything as beneficial for her as well--I highly recommend it). Because this wasn't something they were prepared for (or had likely ever seen) they treated it like an "emergency case." But, with the cord clamping/cutting, they were the ones wielding the scissors/scalpel so it was literally one of the only parts of the birth that we couldn't really have full control over--the other parts only involved my body which fell fully within my jurisdiction so we just told them what we would and would not be doing. Funny thing is that my husband actually caught my daughter when she came out because, well, no one else was around to do it. I kinda helped. Team effort--go team!

Mother of Two

charade is offline Registered User
    In Hong Kong, especially the public setting, getting them to delay cutting the chord seems a near-impossible task. But with regard to the article above, I was reading the comments and another midwife contested the assertion that it is impossible to wait till the chord stops pulsing and then collect the chord blood.

Quote Originally Posted by charade View Post
    In Hong Kong, especially the public setting, getting them to delay cutting the chord seems a near-impossible task. But with regard to the article above, I was reading the comments and another midwife contested the assertion that it is impossible to wait till the chord stops pulsing and then collect the chord blood.
    Impossible? What about Lotus Birth? I just watched a YouTube video that is a vlog of a quite "granola" couple that lives in South America. They just gave birth to their first daughter via unassisted childbirth and the baby and placenta stayed attached until the placenta just separated naturally. They preserved the placenta with salt, essential oils and spices to keep it from rotting and the cord was completely devoid of blood when it finally just shriveled up and naturally fell off.

I wonder why she would say it was "impossible"--unless the focus is collecting cord blood. At best cord blood banking is recommended in cases where people have a known genetic issue where it will be used--otherwise it's not really indicated.

Mother of Two

charade is offline Registered User
    From what I understood, in the article you linked to, the focus was on collected cord blood and the midwife's assertion was that to get enough cord blood one must cut the cord immediately (which is the reason she does not recommend cord blood collection anymore). However, another midwife in the comments pointed out that one can wait at least until the cord has stopped pulsing to cut and still get enough cord blood with some effort. So it may be possible to have both - a delayed cutting of cord (though not as delayed as waiting for the placenta to separate naturally) as well as cord blood collection.

Now, whether there are any merits to collecting cord blood itself is another issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast