Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Beware! Baby blanket danger

Gracey is offline Registered User

Beware! Baby blanket danger

We're very careful at night -- we put the baby in a sleeping bag, on her back, in a special cushion to keep her from rolling, and one blanket that only comes up to her chest and is tucked firmly into the sides of the mattress. She's in a small bassinet in our bedroom.

But I'm more relaxed for daytime naps. I figure I'm here, I'm awake, and baby rarely naps for more than an hour anyway.

This morning, I wrapped her loosely in a light blanket and put her to sleep in her bigger baby bed in the nursery, surrounded by her teddy bears and toys. I went to make a coffee and check email and heard light whimpering, so I ignored it, figuring that I would let her settle herself.

The whimpering continued, so I went to check. She had somehow turned herself entirely around and rolled the thin blanket into something like a thick rope. She then got this "rope" coiled around her neck. She was desperately trying to pull it off her throat, but the harder she pulled, the tighter it got. Also, she must have been struggling and moving alot, because she also had a teddy bear fall on her head, covering her face.

I had the fright of my life! Imagine if I had been in the shower, or decided to wait another 5 minutes. She might have strangled.

From now on, no more loose blankets, stuffed animals or anything while she sleeps -- not even for a nap. I'm usually a very relaxed person, but I am going to be strict about this.

This is just a warning for other parents. I was having coffee only 20 feet away from her.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    I am glad you are both ok, must have been a real shock. Having this type of problem is one of the worst nightmares for parents.. The guidelines I read before our baby was born included

1. No pillows, cushions or comforters in the cot. No cot bumpers either.
    2. Only use mesh blankets (with little holes in)
    3. Feet at the bottom of the bed/bassinet
    4. No toys or teddies.
    5. Tuck in and always on their back

We were concerned the mesh blanket might be too cold for our baby overnight so we bought a couple of fleece babysuits from Uniqlo - they are marvelous - light, warm and easy to get in/out of. With a vest, the fleece and a mesh blanket she sleeps warmly and happily - and hopefully safely! - now.

carey is offline Registered User
    For this reason, our sons have very "bare" cribs. Just and matress and its cover. They sleep in sleeping bags only. We leave heaters on rather than putting on more blanekets in "cold" winter nights. I warned against my helpers in putting on blaknets for them.

My younger has mild eczema so we only dress him in cotton materials. If that is not warm enough as Pj, I guess we will only add in layers or turned up the heater.

I am even reluntant to put on Mosquite net for them in the summer after seeing a few warnings here about babies pulling it getting themselves tangel up in it.

Yes, when they are by themselves in a room, you always want to check if they cry/fuss for longer period of time than "normal". We peep through the gap of the door or just stay/ hide in the same room until they fall asleep.

New Dad -- Thanks for the sympathetic words and the advice.

I talked to my helper about this. She's increasingly piled tons of stuff in the nursery crib, which we only use in daytime now. First it was stuffed animals. Now it's toys, swaddle cloths, extra clothes, a pillow an aunt gave us, and even the air con remote!

I told her what happened this morning and she laughed! I couldn't believe the response. Maybe she just laughed because it was awkward or embarassing? I repeated that this was really serious, and she stopped laughing. But then she said that the pillow would help the baby from rolling -- which is exactly wrong. The last thing we need are giant fluffy decorative pillows.

I don't think she understands SIDS risk, so I'm going to have to sit down with her.

BTW, I'm not blaming her for this morning. I was the one to put the baby down for a nap with a blanket, and I still feel terrible about it. But it's even more important to me now that I also train the helper this way.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Thanks for sharing Gracey. Must have been so scary for you. Thank goodness your baby is okay. We have always had a very bare crib but it is a good reminder of why we do so - as sometimes I have been tempted to put a blanket or a pillow or a toy in there, thinking what harm could it do?

Can I ask how old your little one is? My son is one years old now but I am still keeping a bare crib and he sleeps in a sleeping bag only. Not really sure when it is okay to use blankets / allow toys in the crib.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    So good of you to share your experience to remind others of how easily this can happen.

From my own experience I would add to the list of things to watch out for, or not use at all, are the sleep sacks that have the additional swaddle cloth attachment. My LO was only a few months old and I woke one night to find that she had tried to lift her arms and was strong enough to lift the swaddle cloth up over her head, essentially covering her face and head. Terrified me and I was very thankful she slept next to us in a bassinet and I am a VERY light sleeper.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    And if anyone has a cot next to a window with blind cords/curtain pulls, please go immediately and either move the cot or cut the cords short. About 2 years ago, an 18mth-old boy in Discovery Bay died after being strangled with the cords of the blinds next to his cot. Strangling is a silent death - you won't hear your little one crying or gasping for breath.

I know it sounds obvious - but please go check if your little one can reach the cords, whether in their cot or just playing in their room. The stories in this article are heartbreaking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/bu...pagewanted=all

Liquorice -- Thanks for your kind words. My baby is just 4 months old.