Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Which private hostpital is the best?

miran is offline Registered User
    Sanatorium for me too. They are very expensive but for us worth it. They are low on the frills though like teaching how to bathe your baby, providign sanitory pads etc.

Workingmom1975 is offline Registered User
    I delivered at Matilda and the overall experience was good. It was a natural delivery in a private room and the total cost was definitely lower than 150k. They're hard core with breastfeeding so you may not wanna go there if it's not something you care too much about. The room was nice and the staff was very professional. Most of my friends prefer Matilda and Sanatorium among private hospitals for deliveries....

elle is offline Registered User
    Delivered at Matilda and if I had another child in HK I would go to another private hospital - either Sanatorium or Adventist. Had some serious complications (me, not the baby) and they did not have medical staff on hand to deal with it, so things got much worse while waiting for a doctor to come in. Nurses compounded the issue by not ringing a doctor soon enough and putting notes in my chart instead. Believe that both Sanatorium and Adventist keep staff doctors who can handle emergencies on hand at all hours. Apparently not the case with Matilda. Was also generally unimpressed with some of the nursing staff (before the complications) - they were either overworked or just didn't care, but either way I don't have a good impression of them and their competence or kindness.

That said, for a normal, uncomplicated delivery many of my friends have enjoyed Matilda's lovely views. But for me, medical care is more important than aestetics when it comes to assessing the quality of a hospital.
    Last edited by elle; 12-21-2011 at 10:52 AM.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Would agree with Elle as my first also had sine serious complications (the baby, not me) and she was sent to QMH cause they did not have the lifesaving equipment to save her...having said that the equipment needed IS only avaiable at the government hospitals. Having said that though my delivery was supposed to be problem free (no prior complications detected)... so for us it was down to Competency of doctor AND staff. My ObGYN now claims that my first baby should have been delivered 1.5hours than she was...

chief is offline Registered User
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions and wishes, but I suppose I'm getting what I asked for...different opinions about the same hospital!

So I guess @elle and @lesliefu you two weren't so impressed by the lack on hand staff and equipment at Sanitorium?

My finace actually says now that she thinks it's important to find a hospital close to where we are, which is around Yau Ma Tei, so it looks like we're looking at Baptist (oh crap) and St. Teresa. Surely someone's had some experience there?

I'll be really honest, after reading these forums, I feel so vulnerable. One can feel so helpless when it comes to their children. I suppose I won't be able to escape the territory that comes w/being a parent =/

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    I can understand your vulnerability.

There are practical considerations (ie: how far are we from the hospital) and personal ones as well (ie: I feel more comfortable with Westerners looking after my fiancée). But once you figure out your priorities, then it won't be too overwhelming.

The good news is, you have a sizeable budget to work with. That's a very good start. The second good news is that this forum is a wealth of information for those who are new to parenting & Hong Kong so you've come to the right place. As you can see from the replies, every experience is different since pregnancy is different as well. Pick & choose the information that is relevant to your situation.

Good luck!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Would have to agree with your fiancee...close is best especially when she will be having contractions and you will be driving or taking a cab there. Had a friend deliver at baptist about a month ago...it's not luxurious but my friend survived. She basically went there cause her doc only delivers there.

It's nice that budget is not an issue si perhaps you can check out the different types of private rooms these hospitals offer...would fine a OBGYN to deliver first and then have them book the room for you once you decide.

Vulnerable...but would say it's definitely a very exciting process! All the best!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    So I guess @elle and @lesliefu you two weren't so impressed by the lack on hand staff and equipment at Sanitorium?
    I think you've misread their posts. They were suggesting (correctly and I agree with them) that Matilda is not well equipped to deal with real serious issues (if&when they happen).

The fact is only government hospitals are truly equipped for the very difficult cases. Sanitorium happens to be better than most when it comes to having emergency equipment around but even they wont be able to handle the real serious stuff.

No matter, it seems like you are bowing to the wishes of your SO (and you will go for close) and thats perfectly fine. Make sure she is well taken care of and happy with her choices; it will mean one less stress to deal with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast