Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which private hostpital is the best?

chief is offline Registered User

Which private hostpital is the best?

Just found out my fiance is pregnant and the first thing the doctor said was "Book your hospital!" Funny.

So the question is: Which private hospital is best?

I know that I'm asking a subjective question, but that's because I want answers from real people with opinions.

Cost is not really a factor for me and I'm fine with spending even $200K for the best of everything without going to the extreme of having solid gold toilets.

burrcl is offline Registered User
    Well, an awful lots of Westerner's go to the Matilda. I went to the Canossa and was very happy there. The only difference I can make out - from chatting to friends who delivered there, and from when I visited myself to see them - was that there are a lot more western staff at the Matilda, and a huge menu to choose your food from! Oh yeah, and it's more expensive overall.

Where do you live? I can't say that I've really heard too many horror stories about any of the private hospitals. Who is your doctor though, as some are not allowed to deliver at some hospitals so that may make a difference.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    If money is no object and you want the best (whatever that means), there are esentially 2 choices:

Matilda : Is full of Western looking, western educated doctors. Preferred by rich expats with deep pockets or top insurance.

Sanitorium : Is full of Chinese looking, western and locally educated doctors many of them also educators at local universities. Preferred by rich Chinese along with POP and movie stars..

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    A few things to consider.

* Who is your doctor and at what hospital do they have privileges. You might find a doctor you like to be more important than the physical facility where you deliver.

* Where do you live? It may sound silly, but when the time comes the last thing you want to be doing is fighting traffic to get to the hospital on the other side of the island or trying to hail a taxi in the middle of rush hour. Someplace closer might be better.

* Finally, where can you get in? Have you started to talk to the hospitals? Depends how far along you are in the pregnancy but places do fill up fast.

Good luck and congratulations.

chief is offline Registered User
    Great suggestions so far. I'll need to look into those hospitals more. We haven't found a doctor yet. The doctor that confirmed the pregnancy doesn't do deliveries

Would be happy to get some suggestions from people. Western looking doctors isn't as important as just great service and genuine care. She's local, and I'm ABC.

I read that thread about Baptist and was pretty scared!

Wow, hospitals for the rich? Would I expect to spend more than $200K then? I'm fine with more, but would just like to know how much to budget.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Very valid points above. You should be fine with 200k with Matilda, perhaps with change in fact.

You might also want to factor costs of antenatal care (scans, tests, ob gyn visits, etc) which also add up.

Congratulations !

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    If you are not bothered about the non-western thing, I would suggest you look into Sanitorium then.

I'm not saying they are better (whatever that means) but the doctors are generally more qualified (they have a lot more letters behind their names).
    It is comparatively less expensive than Matilda.
    For vast majority of people who dont live near the Peak, the Happy Valley location is much more convenient.

If you dont have a doctor, the Sanitorium will also have their list of recommended doctors.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    I've delivered at Matilda, Sanatorium and the Adventist. My preference would be Sanatorium. For me, the faclities were newer and the location was more convenient...also, in the case of emergencies, they are comparatively better equipped to handle the baby than the other two....not trying to scare you hre, just giving you the facts you might want to consider...

Honestly though for me, the most important is the doctor since youre only at the hospital for three days (5days with c-section) and you can only get any real rest at home...that's just from my own experience though....

Congrats! Very excited for you guys!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast