Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By Shenzhennifer

Hello and Merry Xmas from old Geobaby mom:)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan

Hello and Merry Xmas from old Geobaby mom:)

I just wanted to say hello to fellow geo-mummies, and a Merry Christmas.
    We have been in Canada for nearly 6 months, after living in HK for 2 years and SZ for 1.
    I kind of dropped off the face of Geobaby. First, because the move-planning for crazy, then the setting up and settling in was even crazier, and then one thing just led to another, as they do.
    I sometimes lurk on this site again, to see what is going on, etc. I really wish I could find a similar site here in Canada. It's just different here.
    I also wanted to say thank you to everyone with whom I had communications with on this site. I had so many questions answered when I was a clueless new mom (I'm still clueless, just on different levels now!), and I really could not have got on so well without fellow HK moms', local and expat alike, support. It was invaluable to me. I also made some really great friends through this site - so for that I'm really grateful too.
    Canada is ok. It's a bit of a struggle. It's really hard for my husband to find proper employment. Both of us are working full time - I will be going up to full time in the new year, but it's going to be hard financially to support all 4 of us on this salary. Job prospects are few and far between, or at least tons of people are also looking. It's really great finally being close to my family and some close friends and having them get to know my kids and watch them grow up a bit. It's also a bit of a novelty still getting used to North American life, as I had been away for almost a decade prior to moving back. But it's a busy life here. I thought people worked like dogs in HK and Japan, but here they do too. They spread themselves so thin. They shop like nobody's business. They live beyond their means. So, it's a mixed bag. It's all very yin-**** here, at least for how I feel about it. We have even contemplated moving back to HK in the future! Who knows.
    Anyway, I just wanted to say hi again to anyone that remembered me, and thank you to everyone and also to the administrators of this great website. It is truly a great thing.
    I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and enjoys the mild weather there - here it's about 5 below!
    Take care,
    miran, Liquorice, AmyH and 5 others like this.

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    it's great to hear about your experiences settling back into life in canada.

we are contemplating a possible move in the next 5 years. i will have been in hk for over 20 years by that point.... so moving back kind of scares me.

i would be very interested to hear more about your experiences.

oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS! i hope you don't freeze your ears off!

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hey Jennifer, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

I didn't realise you have moved to Canada, myself having gone back to work again after my maternity leave. Life has been hectic juggling work and kids, and trying to do both well!!

Do continue to be here on Geobaby. Your advice have been most helpful to me. Thanks for that!

Merry Christmas again!!