Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Preparing for second child

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i read that blog and it seems so...ummm..... superficial. there aren't many tips and the advice is very wishy-washy....nothing that hasn't been contributed here already.

while having a blog is a great idea, if you want to keep people reading it, you need to give REAL advice and tips for dealing with situations, not just gloss over it with a rose-coloured brush.

elle is offline Registered User
    hk south side
    Quote Originally Posted by megan2008 View Post
    Thank you all for the advice. I don't think it is possible to hire another helper as we don't have the money to pay for two helpers. She hasn't given us the exact due date yet and I am worried that we won't have anyone to watch our daughter when it's time to deliver. I delivered prematurely with the first one and I worry that it may happen again. Has anyone had a pregnant helper before? What is the process for that? Do they have the baby here on back home?
    Our neighbor's helper was pregnant a few years ago. They are entitled to the HK statutory maternity protections as any other mother. But she has obligations to communicate with you, as her employer, as well.

She needs to give you a notice of pregnancy and intention to take maternity leave. Usually this is done with a note or certificate from her doctor (they are used to providing these in HK) which should have the expected due date on it.

The general rule regarding maternity leave in HK (including for DHs) is:

The 10 weeks leave would start 4 weeks before the expected date of birth, unless the employer and employee can agree a date, which would usually be between 4 and 2 weeks before the birth. If the baby is born early, and prior to the agreed commencement date, the 10 week maternity period will start on the date of the birth.

Once you have her expected due date you can start to set up plans for alternative cover, if affordable, from a local or part time helper. Be very upfront with your helper regarding your expectations and that while you respect her and her pregnancy she must also respect you as an employer and communicate what is going on with her so that you can make appropriate arrangements for your family.
    carang likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    One other thing to consider is how long your helper has been working for you. She is only entitled to PAID maternity leave IF she, and I quote a government document:

"-has been employed for not less than 40 weeks immediately before the commencement of scheduled maternity leave;
    -she has given notice of pregnancy confirmed by a medical certificate to her employer; and
    -she has produced a medical certificate specifying the expected date of confinement if so required by the employer."

So, if she has not yet been working for you for 10 months or more before the confinement date (stated on the medical certificate she submits to you) then you actually are not required to pay her maternity leave. Of course she will take maternity leave but it will be unpaid. In my case, last year I gave birth and had to take unpaid maternity leave as I had not been at my employer for 10 months before I gave birth. Of course, if she's worked for you for more than 10 months then this doesn't apply.

Also, "The daily rate of maternity leave pay is equal to four-fifths of the average daily wages of the helper. It should be paid on the normal pay day of the helper."
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12