Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

See multiple OBGYN before deciding?

chief is offline Registered User

See multiple OBGYN before deciding?

Do people see multiple OBGYNs before decoding on a delivery doctor?

I just saw a doctor in TST and wasn't very thrilled. She saw us for 3 minutes maybe, got all the details and data, and answered a few questions. When I asked her regarding hospital differences all she said was "they're both about the same."

Also when I asked if it was true that having a private room at ST Teresa or Baptist meant that the baby was brought to your room for breastfeeding, she said "I don't believe so" which goes against what I've read all over these boards. Does that mean she's never had a client book a private room so she doesn't know?

Additionally I waited about 1.5 hours to see her. Is this normal? My time is precious as I am the only income earner and I'm a little dismayed if I'm expected to wait 1.5 every visit. I'd be happy to pay them more money if I didn't have to wait 1.5 hours passed my appointment time every time.

To be fair there were a lot of people waiting. Maybe she knew that and was trying to hurry?

To be honest she's a young doctor and looked about 34-35. Am I expecting too much or am I right to not be impressed?

Not sure if I should keep seeing other candidates.
    Posted via Mobile Device

charade is offline Registered User

If you're not too pleased or comfortable with the Ob/gyn you saw, I'd say see another. A big part of going private is having a doctor you're comfortable with. Between my two pregnancies I've seen three private Ob/gyn's - two in the first one...I liked them both but switched simply because it was getting too tough to go to Central for appointments and anyway I was delivering public. For this pregnancy has been seeing just one (Dr. Mak) - again chose him (after reading a thread on this forum actually) because I was considering delivering at Baptist, and the hospital is across the road from my office so convenient for appointments... I liked him and have stuck with him. I think people do switch around, but keep in mind that you need to decide and get a hospital booking. At Baptist, I was able to wait until 12 weeks to pay the deposit but in the HK Island ones I was asked for a deposit at 7 weeks...not sure what the Theresa policy is, but I heard next year will be more crazy to get a booking because Year of the Dragon.

About the long wait, I've always had to wait about an hour. I think it's like this with ob/gyn's because their schedule can be disrupted by having to go suddenly in for a delivery. But one hopes that when you do get your appointment, they are at least patient with your questions. Luckily, all three of the ones I saw were (even though the first two knew I would not be delivering with them and even with Dr.Mak I alternate his appointments with public but he always gives me adequate attention), despite the long wait.

The breastfeeding thing might also be because many Hong Kongers aren't that into breastfeeding so she may have never had this question before. Also, many HK doctors aren't that into breastfeeding either - technically, it's not the ob/gyn's area (more the pediatrician) but I'd rather have one that was on the same page because in case of complaints regarding breastfeeding support during the hospital stay they could be appealed to.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User

We never had to wait more than 15 minutes for obgyen visits - they are not all the same... Waiting an hour and a half for 3 rushed minutes? I wouldn't be going back.

As charade said, one of the best things about going private is the ability to choose a Doctor you like and are comfortable with.
    Posted via Mobile Device

miran is offline Registered User

i remember being hopping mad and mildly shocked that we had to wait for more than an hour at the first visit to our Ob/gyn. also, i was less than impressed with the overall meeting. the only reason we went for our next appt was that our freind (a doc herself) had recommended the ob.

we are very glad we stuck on and we'd definitely go back for our next delivery. the point being sometimes it's tough to assess someone in the first meet. also, a lot of local docs have lousy waiting systems for some reason. but they are good doctors otherwise. in your position i would look around and meet other docs but also go back once to this one.

all the best !

Gracey is offline Registered User

Yes -- look around. This is the person who will be (or at least should be) following you through months of pregnancy, and then through one of the most important events of your life.

I didn't like the first ob-gyn I saw -- he tried to push me into a C-section before I was even 2 months along!
    I lucked out and found a good one I liked on my second try at Baptist.

In the following months, I occasionally had to see other doctors at that same hospital, when my ob-gyn was off, and I didn't like them very much at all. One lady doctor was very defensive about breastfeeding and told me that "all Asian babies" needed to have formula at first.

So, to make a long answer short -- do shop around and find someone you're comfortable with. All doctors in HK are rushed, but all should also make you feel welcome and answer questions -- certainly for the amount of money they charge.

Gracey is offline Registered User

BTW, I was working like mad, too, through pregnancy. So I know how you feel about long waits.
    Sometimes it's inevitable. After all, ob-gyns also have to deliver babies, and those can be unexpected.
    But you want to find a doctor for whom long waits are the exception (like they're dealing with another woman in labor) and not the rule.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Definitely find one that you are comfortable with...I've had three kids and seen 5 different OBGYNs...the waits I've experienced were from 15mins to 2hrs....appt times for all were as long as you made them...I.e. If you had questions prepared or not, the check up itself takes less than 5 mins. Many of my friends are unhappy with such a short consultation and a big bill...but I do tell them to prepare questions so at Lear you get your money's worth in a sense.