Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ESF play visit

lalligirl is offline Registered User
    i haven't noticed that people find it ok to bring their little ones along, but i'm new to the whole school thing! for me, i felt like it was a case of take bub along or don't go at all. I never expected the school to be ok with it, which is why i always checked first. of course, having a part time helper now, and knowing more people well enough to ask to 'borrow' their helper for a couple of hours, this is less of a problem for me!
    on a side note, i am actually lucky enough to have family here in hk, but they all work, so can't help out during the week!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    ;). Just something I noticed with 3 kids in primary school ... quite surprised me. I know for a fact that teachers in our school aren't very excited that children come along to parent teacher consultations ... must say, apparently it's usually the same families over and over again.

I think schools will always understand if there are special circumstances, so I agree, it's always better to ask and inform them instead of just showing up with a child when specially stated parents only. Kind of common sense right, ;)?

agreed...although one thing i've learned since living in hk is that there is no such thing as common sense...or at least logic is not universal!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Yes "common sense" is not so common! It's culturally based I believe....I've just learnt not to make any assumptions and just ask.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Maybe we have different ideas on parenting but I would not be happy to leave a newborn with a stranger.
    Having travelled the world, and lived in four countries across Europe and Asia, I've never seen a situation where people are not accommodating of a newborn, especially somewhere as relaxed as an ESF playscheme.

BTW - 'little ones': a newborn is different to even a four or five month old. I wouldn't take an older baby, but a new baby needs to be with mum as much as possible. It's just a normal part of life all over the world - much more 'normal' than passing them off to a stranger.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    Maybe we have different ideas on parenting but I would not be happy to leave a newborn with a stranger.
    Having travelled the world, and lived in four countries across Europe and Asia, I've never seen a situation where people are not accommodating of a newborn, especially somewhere as relaxed as an ESF playscheme.

BTW - 'little ones': a newborn is different to even a four or five month old. I wouldn't take an older baby, but a new baby needs to be with mum as much as possible. It's just a normal part of life all over the world - much more 'normal' than passing them off to a stranger.
    I also wouldn't leave my girls with a stranger (neither my bub nor my 3 y.o.). if i had to 'borrow' a helper, it would be someone i know! I also agree with the difference between older baby & newborn. I do think, however, it's a good thing to ask/let the school know if you have to bring bub with you, especially if they've stated that they'd prefer siblings not to attend. In my experience, ESF have been very relaxed, even encouraging about me bringing my now 9 mth old.
    Last edited by lalligirl; 01-01-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: clarification

trttrt is offline Registered User
    Hi! Thanks for the responses.. It's ESF hillside. I don't have a helper, otherwise I would definitely bring her along and have her wait around. Neither do I have family or many friends around. Friends, if any, are working so it would be impossible to aak them for help. Besides not everyone is comfortable to handle a baby just a few weeks old. I am also not comfortable with leaving my little one with anyone, other than my husband who will be attending the session too.
    I think I will give the school a call to inform them. Hope they will be cool. Thanks for the suggestion. Have a great new year, all! :)

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lalligirl View Post
    I also wouldn't leave my girls with a stranger (neither my bub nor my 3 y.o.). if i had to 'borrow' a helper, it would be someone i know! I also agree with the difference between older baby & newborn. I do think, however, it's a good thing to ask/let the school know if you have to bring bub with you, especially if they've stated that they'd prefer siblings not to attend. In my experience, ESF have been very relaxed, even encouraging about me bringing my now 9 mth old.
    Agree, my kids know many of my friends' helpers by name, and I have known them for a while too. I wouldn't consider them a stranger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast