Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ESF play visit

trttrt is offline Registered User

ESF play visit

We have been invited for a play visit for our child n it is scheduled mid-Jan. It's stated that siblings should not be around but I have a newborn who is currently breastfeeding. It's recommended that both parents attend the session and would just like to find out if any experienced parents can offer any advice. Do you think I can bring my newborn bb along? She is really quiet and hardly makes any noise.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I would find it very inappropriate to take a newborn, no matter how quiet. A play visit doesn't take that long (no more than 1 hour). Possibly bring your (or a pt) helper and have her wait with the baby in the lobby while you focus on your older child at the play visit?

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Such a Hong Kong response.
    I would have no problem with a newborn at such a play visit/interview, especially if both parents are around. And if you are breastfeeding, you can't always anticipate when the baby will need a feed.
    The reason for 'no siblings' is so the children will play with/around the other, perhaps non-familiar children, not just with the familiar sibling. A newborn is not gong to interfere with that process.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    I believe it should be fine as the bb should not have an impact on the overall process...however, I would let the school know son that it does not come as a surprise to them.

lalligirl is offline Registered User
    which esf is it? my daughter goes to abacus in clearwater bay. they have been absolutely fine with me taking my baby to school events (i don't have a full time helper, and didn't have a part timer until a couple of weeks ago). I just made sure i let them know in advance. The play visit is very informal - i think i was only there for around half an hour & i think my daughter spent most of the time in the playground! Admittedly i was still pregnant when I did the playdate, so didn't take bub to that one, but they've been fine ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    Such a Hong Kong response.
    I would have no problem with a newborn at such a play visit/interview, especially if both parents are around. And if you are breastfeeding, you can't always anticipate when the baby will need a feed.
    The reason for 'no siblings' is so the children will play with/around the other, perhaps non-familiar children, not just with the familiar sibling. A newborn is not gong to interfere with that process.
    A Hong Kong response? I am not from here, and no matter whether I had helper or not, which I didn't before I moved here (and I already had 3 children) I would always arrange somebody for my newborn. In case of breastfeeding I would probably keep that "somebody" closeby if I needed but I really feel it's only fair to the child attending the interview to fully focus on him / her. I've seen it so many times at parents-teacher consultations, etc. that especially Asians (?) bring their children, siblings, etc. Arrange a babysitter! I've never seen that before. They ask you not to bring kids, and so many people show up with their kids? Especially here, it's not hard to arrange a helper or babysitter, or even a friend. That way the parents can focus for 15-60 min on what you're there for. I've never experienced that in Europe. Even with my twins in the States, I have managed to do it that way. I felt I owed to my oldest to give her (or her teacher) my full attention.

Interesting to read the different views though ...

lalligirl is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MommyTo3 View Post
    Arrange a babysitter! I've never seen that before.
    I think if you don't have a helper that is not always possible. because of the helper culture here in hk, babysitters are hard to come by & people generally don't have the same family support that they would if they were in their home country.
    If trttrt has a helper, I'm sure the school would be fine with the helper coming along and waiting outside the classroom with the bub, in case a of a need to feed. Again, I would just email/call them to ask/let them know.

Quote Originally Posted by lalligirl View Post
    I think if you don't have a helper that is not always possible. because of the helper culture here in hk, babysitters are hard to come by & people generally don't have the same family support that they would if they were in their home country.
    If trttrt has a helper, I'm sure the school would be fine with the helper coming along and waiting outside the classroom with the bub, in case a of a need to feed. Again, I would just email/call them to ask/let them know.
    I would have no problem finding a part time helper to babysit when asking. Even mine is not that busy with 3 kids in full time school now and has helped out others as well. I see my friends do the same very regularly if needed. Because we don't have family, I see people rely on friends (and their helpers) if needed. I honestly think if you really wanted to, it wouldn't be hard in Hong Kong, but apparently (which is my misunderstanding in the first place) people in general seem to think it's quite OK to bring little ones along, which I didn't expect. ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast