Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Why Chinese parents let baby sweat?

meimeid is offline Registered User
    Actually, I am Chinese myself, I was not meaning to generalize all Chinese. That's why I asked, because as a Chinese I did not understand. Seems to me that when you sweat, you are actually more prone to catch a cold if the temperature suddenly drops.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Not to mention, studies show that infants that suffer from over-heating are more prone to SIDS.

Personally, I also think that's why you see so much ecxema in infants here.

carang is offline Registered User
    4 layers of cotton & a t-shirt & a jacket? can your child move properly with all of those layers? why do you need 4 layers of cotton? why not an undershirt, a t-shirt and a jumper... then a light jacket if necessary?

just realised i may have misread that post... is it 4 cotton layers THEN a t-shirt & jacket... or is it 4 cotton layers RATHER THAN a t-shirt and jacket?

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Today it's 11-15 C. I took my 4-month-old baby out in ONE layer -- a thicker onsie with long sleeves and long legs. I threw on some sock and booties -- and that's it! In my bag, I had an extra blanket and hat just in case.
    My baby goes out to the park every day and hasn't had a cold yet (touch wood). If she sneezes or coughs a little bit, we just wipe her nose and ignore it. Of course if (God forbid) she gets really ill, we will take her to the doctor. But normal winter-time sniffles are fine. I hope that she will grow up with the natural ability to adjust to the weather, unlike most Hong Kongers.
    I met a mother of another 4-month-old in my building lobby, and her kid looked like she was being dressed for a ski holiday in the Arctic. Poor thing was totally red in the face from overheating.
    When my parents first emigrated to Canada in the 1970s, their doctors yelled at them for overdressing us in the winter. They said that it led to sweaty babies -- which, ironically, leads to chills, as well as skin sores. The Canadian doctors also told them that overly tight or stuffy clothing can obstruct circulation. If your child is red and sweaty, this is a sign that circulation is being blocked.
    Since then, none of the babies in our family have been overdressed.
    Plus, HK is a tropical island. It gets a bit chilly here in winter, but it's not a cold place.
    PS. My family are Chinese.

bonita is offline Registered User
    Carang: it's "rather than." And the 4 cotton layers are spaghetti straps under shirt, short-sleeves t-shirt, long-sleeve t-shirt and a thin cotton hoodie.

that sounds more reasonable...;) i would probably forget the short-sleeves t-shirt and just put on a slightly heavier hoody (which, where i'm from, we call... a BUNNY HUG!)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    As some people have mentioned layering clothes--I really don't think there's anything wrong with putting layers on if your intention is that some of the layers are going to come off at some time. But, we were at a school picnic last Spring in May and it was a pretty warm and sunny day. In the morning it was cool but when the sun came out it was hot and we were outside all day and there wasn't much shade at all. I had dressed my son in his school sweatsuit in the morning but by afternoon he had a tank top on. His little friend, a little girl was still dressed in the sweatsuit but she had an extra sweater and a t-shirt on underneath it! Her family was there with her but they wouldn't take anything off--she was sweating so much that her hair was soaked and the helper had to keep changing the towel that was stuffed down the back of her shirt because it was getting soaked with sweat. So, layering is great for the many "climate changes" (air con to non-air con to outside etc.) we experience in HK but...sometimes you have to take a few (or many) layers off. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast