Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree1Likes

Why Chinese parents let baby sweat?

TungBB is offline Registered User
    I often get comments "your baby will catch a cold, she is wearing too little". A lot. Every time my MIL (local) sees my baby, I get that comment 4-5 times. She must think either I don't understand her or I am ignorant. Lately, she started to tell that to my husband too. Must have given up on me.
    Ironically, when she saw that my windows are open only slightly, she said that my baby and I will suffocate from the lack of ventilation in the room.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByGeoClicks Mobile1325832768.772817.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	1705

Here's the 'convenient' hanky (hope it shows well)...It never saw daylight for its intended mission but it is given same due respect as its regular hanky peers:)

I agree with thanka & charade about the layering & art involved We do layers in winter & will remove accordingly Lately in a mall we didn't have the chance to remove the 2nd layer for LO when he fell asleep and so he was sweating-hair wet, the shop asst looked in awe and exclaimed to us & her colleagues that he was sweating(in obviously 2 thin layers) She couldn't believe this could ever happen when my LO is obviously underdressed by local standards

genkimom: We get such same luks(read: crazy mum!) too when I dressed with my LO in tshirt outdoors at similar temp & we could feel the warmth of the sunrays on our skin

Yeah I tot my eyes were playing tricks when I saw windows open at several neighbouring units when it was 11deg! Our landlord also suggested we open the windows when we first asked about the water condensation on the window panes occuring in cold weather

And little girls dressed in thin ballet costumes heading for classes without any jacket in the air-conditioned malls?! It's so confusing...

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    While being cold, hot or wet can be uncomfortable for anyone (especially young ones), I'm not aware of any illnesses that you could pick up from such situations.
    Well, we all know that colds and flus are caused by germs, and not by temperature.
    But the Canadian peds we had when we were kids always cautioned us about staying dry -- that's important in a place that's REALLY cold. I was pointing out the irony that these parents think they're keeping their kids warm by bundling them up -- but if the kids are profusely sweating, they can actually also feel cold when the air con or outside wind hits that sweat.

I had a Canadian doctor friend visit me recently, and he was shocked at how kids were bundled up. He said that, in extreme cases, it could cause heat rash, sores or bad circulation. Maybe you don't consider that "getting sick," but it's certainly unhealthy.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I don't know where you're from -- but anyone who's lived in a cold place knows that being caught wet in the winter, will definitely lead to runny noses, coughing and sore throats. Maybe it's just a bodily reaction, or maybe being wet and cold brings down your resistance. But I'm talking about places with -20 wind chill factors, not Hong Kong, where 10 C warrants a government cold weather warning!

Anyway... back to the topic at hand. Today was pretty chilly. I had my baby in a regular onsie, and then a thicker padded onsie on the outside. But the kids in the my neighborhoods were dressed to climb Everest!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234