Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Why Chinese parents let baby sweat?

meimeid is offline Registered User

Why Chinese parents let baby sweat?

Today I was on a longhaul flight to Europe and sitting next to a Chinese couple I noticed they really overdressed their bub. She was sweating like a pig and they kept wiping her sweat away. During the night they covered her with three blankets and put a thick coat over her head like a hat.
    In the middle of the night they had to change her clothes because they were drenched... The girl didn't seem ill or anything.
    I don't get it, why do they do this? I couldn't ask because I don't speak Mandarin. I thought maybe someone is able to satisfy my curiosity?

carang is offline Registered User
    they don't just do it on flights. they do it ALL THE TIME. every class, i have to ask parents to please remove 2-3 layers of clothing. at 22C, i have kids coming to classes with 5-7 layers, including thermal layers!

shinan is offline Registered User
    I think most Chinese believe that you get sick from being cold and exposed to the elements, but not from being hot.
    Posted via Mobile Device

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    My husband is Chinese and he believes that if a person sneezes that indicates that they are cold--in whatever temperature--even in the summer when it's hot. And the cure for sneezes is to add more layers of clothing. He tends to try to over-dress our children and he is slowly learning not to do that. For example, about three weeks ago our daughter was fussing and carrying on at bedtime. I said, "I think she is too hot...I'm going to take off a layer or two." He didn't believe me. But, sure enough, as soon as I removed the extra clothing she calmed down and was content. He did have to admit I was right. But, even though he has the tendency to over-dress our kids...at least it's not in 5-7 layers--maybe 1 or 2. ;) I think Chinese grandparents are the ones that keep this tradition alive. My parents-in-law LOVE to overdress my son. It's like a past-time. :P
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

carang is offline Registered User
    i have the same problem with my chinese husband... i'm constantly saying, its 23C they don't need their winter jackets! LOL!

Milne is offline Registered User
    No, I don't agree with it. I'm a Chinese and I always dress the baby with only 1 more layer than myself. But my husband, who is an English, always asks me to put on more clothes for the baby.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    It is not just a Chinese thing, may wife also puts on too many layers for our daughter - often 4 or 5 when I feel 3 would be fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

bonita is offline Registered User
    I'm Chinese and I tend to put 4 cotton layers on my daughter than one t-shirt and a down jacket. I believe that the 4 layers are more adjustable to the different temperatures outdoor, on buses/mtr, and indoor. My American husband used to believe in the "one shirt & jacket" until he realizes how malls in HK keeps their air-con blasting year round and there is no central heating, i.e. can't take jacket off indoor, but outdoor jacket is just too much.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast