Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

12 month baby - formula or cow's milk

bonita is offline Registered User
    My daughter was breastfed up till 18 months old. She started having cow's milk at 12 months as a drink but not as a main source of nutrient as, by that time, she's having a balanced solid meals and a snack each day.

Formula is made from cow's milk but has been engineered to be closer to breastmilk.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...pplements.html

miran is offline Registered User
    my son went from BF to ows milk at about 11.5 months. He never took to formula and instantly loved cows milk - so the decision was his. our bub doesnt love food either - he eats normal regular food but is not very open to variety. he's also not interested in food per se (which i suspect he gets from me).

formula / bf / cows milk - in any scenario post first birthday milk intake should ideally come down to twice a day. nutrients and balanced diet would need to be tackled sooner or later. sooner is better because the rigidity increases as babies get older. it's much better to introduce them to wider pallette or get them used to eating good amounts earlier. i know it's easier said than done but nonetheless.

charade is offline Registered User
    Miran, good points. I have to work harder with the solids then...

emma_mama44 is offline Registered User
    Depends on the reasoning for switching -
    if for budget, then formula may cost more or less the same as cow's milk in HK
    but it's definitely easier for you to go out with your little one with cow's milk (bring much less stuff and could buy the cow's milk)
    And the formulars for 12+ and the new born one are different, even though some docotors said you don't have to switch... but it costs much less for a 12+! Hope this help.

yonge is offline Registered User
    My three boys started on cow's milk at 12 months. Cow's milk in the little UHT boxes are great. I get the ones from the USA at Prizemart for HK$3.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    A number of the 12 month + formulas are very sweet and have added vanilla flavouring. I bought the cow and gate one and it absolutely reeked of vanilla so I threw it away. I believe this is a cynical attempt by the formula companies to get children used to the taste of what is essentially a vanilla milkshake twice a day so the switch to cow's milk, whenever it takes place, is a difficult one - I think most people would prefer a vanilla milkshake to a glass of milk!

This article is worth a read too http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk...ow%20On%20Milk

charade is offline Registered User
    JVN, I think you are right about Cow and Gate being sweet...I figured all formula was though so continued with it. Fortunately, we just tried cow's milk on my son and he seems to be taking to it without a fuss. Yay!

Which formula did you opt for instead... something to keep in mind for number 2.

HannahsMammy is offline Registered User
    Hi Ladies
    My daughter will be 2 next month. I did try breastfeeding initially, but my milk was very late coming on following a section birth. When my poor baby finally got the choice, she actually showed a preference to the formula milk anyway - so who am I to argue.
    Hannah has gone through each stage of Cow & Gate milk without any fuss or upset tummies etc.
    My daughter isn't a fussy eater as such, but because I know that the formula milk has all the extra nutirents her little body needs to grow it's reassuring for me as a Mummy - especially on those days when she just wants to eat crap, or just doesn't feel like eating due to being unwell. If its one of those days when it's difficult to get anything into her, I know she only needs two beakers of milk to sustain her... which is one less thing for me to worry about.
    The great thing about the Cow & Gate Milk is that they also produce a formula using semi-skimmed milk - which can be used from age 2 upwards.
    Yes buying milk is less expensive at face value, but if your little one is only drinking 2 beakers per day, a box of formula goes a long way and is great value. For me, also though, I can take formula out with me and mix the amount I need, or for little holidays and days out, I just buy the pre-made cartons...which has been a boon in getting her off the bottle.
    I hope my ramblings have helped. Best wishes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast